I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

are we the only ones that rebuilds their blanks
Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 06:20PM

i read a post on another site about this and it sounded just like me. i have rod blanks that i have rebuilt 5 times. there are many reasons for this like no 1 when "powerhand baitcasting" came out i redid all my rods. 2 when new concept titanium sic guides came out, 3 when micro guides came out and 4 when i found i could cut down my reelseats to save weight. 5 when fuji came out with rapid choke i redid my spinning rods. sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 times before i love the blank/rod. i had a p 842 imx that was a casting rod twice and then a spinning rod but it didn't shine until i made it into a dropshot rapid choke light weight spinning rod. i loved it but now its gone and have spent all winter trying to find a suitable replacement. one thing i found out is you need a matte finish graphite blank to do this as painted blanks are unsuitable for this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are we the only ones that rebuilds their blanks
Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.skybroadband.com)
Date: February 10, 2014 07:07PM

You are not alone Robert, i have stripped and rebuilt some of my rods multiple times. In fact just last week i have rebuilt a pair of rods that I first built in 1983. (don't laugh but they were early carbon carp blanks that i crosswrapped from butt to tip with strips cut from VHS tape!)

I rebuild for various reasons - sometimes for aesthetics, sometimes for performance, sometimes just to try something new.
Every now and again i'll rebuild a rod and end up with something that that just looks, feels and works beautiful (to me!), but even then its possible that a few years later my thoughts on it change and i mess with it again.

One thing i have to say is that if a rod has any sort of nostalgia or history attached to it then 9 times out of 10 any modifications ive made have been a mistake and I've had to rebuild AGAIN back to the original spec!

(glad to see its not just mad Englishmen that have this rebuild fetish)

Posted by: George Byrley (184.21.88.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 07:51PM

Nope. I redid mine in micros. I took 2 that I bought at a garage sale for 5.00 ea., a Castaway 6'10 mhf and an old All Star(made in Houston) 7'0 Jiggin rod, both with slide in handles. I cut the cork, reelseats, and guides off and thru it all away. Glued a 6-8" pc of graphite in the butt of each so that I could move the the first guide back to normal measurements, took an ECS and skeletonized it and put a minima on the other and micros all the way up. Now I have two great rods that weigh just over 4.75 oz ea. Never in there wildest dreams did they ever weigh close to this when they were new. I fish with them daily when I bass fish. Was it cost effective for me to do this? Absolutely not! It was a winter project last year

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 10, 2014 08:51PM

This winter I had unexpected "vacation" after injury and surgery and was not able even leave the house for almost three months. I rebuilt all my ice fishing rods and 5 other rods including centerpin float rods and casting. Still working on two rods, will be 7 in total. Waiting for components. Wnen I just started building rods few years ago I rebuild almost all the rods I had to learn how to do it and different techniques. Now they been rebuilt at least twice. Will I rebuild them again later on? Absolutely!

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 09:56PM

I'll strip and rebuild at least half of my personal arsenal every winter. .as far as I'm concerned they are my buisness card..and I want new designs and components to show prospective customers. ..and I love doing it.

Posted by: Tim Demond (172.56.11.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 10:10PM

I am new to rod building and my work is improving but still not up to most of the guys on this site. I have rebuilt several rods to make them something that fits the way I fish now. For some reason I had 4 fly rods in the 5/6 line weight, I only used one of them, a Loomis GL4 if I remember correctly. It was a demo I bought several years ago. So the others got reworked to spinning rods, good practice and something to do this exceptionally cold winter. Still waiting for the shelf ice to melt.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 03:16PM

I also rebuild and "improve" my rods. I even had several in mind to put new guide trains on and now I will use a new Fuji bottom guide before I even get started! Also I changed the split grips on an older GUSA to EVA I got two years ago from Billy V. This was a pretty easy project and I really like the results. The improvement I do most is new guides as the micro guides developed. Now a size 6 looks like a basketball goal!

Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 06:00PM

i know from experience that guides are alot safer to replace. having broken 3 rods trying to get those weibe offset triggers off the first time i redid my imx's

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 08:39PM

I do the same thing also. Winter time is when I do this because I have more time. I enjoy trying to improve them in some way every now and then.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:30PM

Oh good, I'm normal. I thought I was the only one. =)

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: February 13, 2014 12:23PM

Lol i rebuilt my personal rod 4times and planning for the 5th
don't know till when this blank can handle never ending stripping and sanding procedure

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster