I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for advice on how to determine rear grip lengths
Posted by: Dan Keck (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 01:29AM

I am looking for advice for how to determine rear grip lengths. I understand a lot of it is preference, but are there any guidelines that rod builders have found that point in a general direction. Here is my dilemma. I am building an offshore tuna rod Seeker CJBF70H and intend to use it for live bait. The shorter rear grip moves the fishing reel closer to the body and is more comfortable reeling. However, the shorter rear section gives less rear grip to brace between the arm and body while soaking your bait. I have heard that you can customize the rear grip length by measuring the arm. But what part of the arm? Any help from experienced builders or personal preferences would be appreciated.

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for advice on how to determine rear grip lengths
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 07:37AM

Mostly personal choice but here are a few factors to consider.

Will the rod spend time in a rod holder? If so you want the rear grip long enough so the reel isn’t hitting the gunnel. Will you cast the rod? If so a longer rear grip helps increase casting distance. Most important, how will you hold the rod when fighting a fish. If you use some type of fighting belt you would go a little shorter on the rear grip. If you like to tuck it under your armpit then you’d want a longer rear grip.

Consider that the longest “slick butt” they make is only 12”.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dan Keck (---.cjuhsd.k12.ca.us)
Date: February 10, 2014 10:52AM

Thanks Russ
I will flip the bait from the boat as best as possible. It is a heavier stick for tuna. I will hold it the entire time fishing. I was thinking a gimbal plus 8 inches of hypalon then a Afco reel seat. If I have measured correct that will be 12 inches to the middle of the reel seat from the butt. I will also use a fighting belt with or without gimbal.

Dan

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.gvllcmtc01.gnvlnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 12:01PM

Why not put the fighting belt on and using the blank see where your forward hand and hand you reel with feel the most comfortable. You might even have someone load up the rod tip to simulate lifting a heavy fish......

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 02:22PM

X10 on Sandy's comment.
Or, take one of your favorite rods that you really like for length and duplicate it.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 02:27PM

Sandy
gave you the better advise
play as if you are fishing the blank and it will tell you what you need to know

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dan Keck (---.cjuhsd.k12.ca.us)
Date: February 10, 2014 06:21PM

All good ideas. Does anyone know the theory behind the arm measurement? Is it elbow to wrist? What do you use? Someone in passing commented (not here) that the reel seat should be the distance from elbow to wrist. Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 06:25PM by Dan Keck.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 07:13PM

If it feels good, you are in good shape.
If the rod catches on your arm, it is too long for the type fishing that you are doing.

If the butt is too short to give you the leverage that you want, the butt is too short.

Be safe

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2014 07:32PM

I've fished a lot on long range boats. I've asked several of the most experienced deckhands (they will become apparent after a couple of days) and fishermen who have gone out for decades about what they consider the best length for a rear grip. I get the same answer almost 100% of the time. If you put the butt of the rod even with the end of your elbow, and make a motion as if you were grasping your reel while maintaining that alignment of the end of your elbow and the butt of the rod, that is considered to be the ideal rear grip length for you. I'm currently building a bait rod, and for me, from the bottom of the butt cap to the bottom edge of the reel seat (Fuji DPSH26) measures 11 3/4". Grasping the reel as I described, and measuring from the back edge of the reel to the the rear of the reel seat was 2". I've found that a majority of production rods are usually within an inch of that criteria. To make it correct for you, do the end-of-elbow-even with end of the butt cap- grasp the reel process. It's worked well for me and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 07:35PM

Why when thigs are so simple people make thm so hard

Go out side grab the blank and pretend you are fishing it

You now know where the seat is and how long the butt should be

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dan Keck (71.119.107.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 08:19PM

Thank you all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster