I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubber clamp covers on Pac Bay
Posted by: Randy Pearson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2014 03:13PM

Ok..I purchased a Pac Bay power wrapper with deluxe chuck for Christmas. I have been having a problem with the rubber clamp covers slipping off the clamp jaws. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do to fix it?
Thanks,
Randy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubber clamp covers on Pac Bay
Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: February 07, 2014 03:22PM

I got the same one just before Christmas and have used it for turning cork on a steel rod and wrapping thread on rods with a cork handle. It's held solid for all those.
Are your handles sloped maybe?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2014 05:35PM

make sure the rod is level. If it isn't, the rod will try to unscrew fom the chuck and take the rubber ends with it. When this happens on mine,I stop and re-level everything and it usually fixes itself.

Date: February 07, 2014 06:02PM

I have been using a level when i put the rod in. Guess i will check the level when the rubbers start to pull off.

Posted by: Nick Cox (---.comwavz.com)
Date: February 07, 2014 06:25PM

I had a similar issue and wrapped masking tape around the rubber covers. Haven't had any issues since. I just put new tape on after a few rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2014 10:56AM

Randy,
When I used covers on the chuck jaws, I also used masking tape to hold the covers in place.
I have also found that by using a couple layers of the blue masking tape, the grip is enhanced on the jaws and helps to prevent slipping.

However, one thing that I did finally to prevent chuck jaw slipping was to remove the jaws from the chuck.

Then, I used a grinder to grind equal depressions based on 1 1/4 inch diameter circle. The thing that one has to do, when you do this sort of grinding is to have all of the jaw chucks identical.

An easy way to do this is to use a 1 1/4 inch sanding drum in a drill press. Use a guide to hold the jaws stable against one side to insure that you will have a perfectly uniform depression in the chuck jaw. By having 1/14 inch based depressions on the ends of the chuck jaws, you have basically 100% gripping area on the entire jaw. Then, I always use two layers of blue masking tape on the ground jaws to cushion and also help to increase the grip of the jaws.

But, if you are willing to do some work, you can remarkably improve the gripping ability of your chuck jaws.

Be safe

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (50.153.116.---)
Date: February 08, 2014 01:55PM

Remember that the top of the rod is not level . You ned to level the centerline of the blank. If you level the top the taper comes into play.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 08, 2014 03:43PM

if the jaws center line is on the same plane as the ROD it should work an not slip out , to set up try a steel rod in the jaws an mesure the center line an go from there SID

William Sidney
AK

Date: February 26, 2014 07:46PM

Thanks all for the help. I measured the centerline of the chuck from the bottom of the wrapper, and am now making sure that same measurement is at the centerline of the rod at each of the three brackets. That has helped a lot. I will try the masking tape as well. Those two things combined should take care of it. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster