I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rainshadow rx8
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.comporium.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 07:30PM

Anyone have any experience fishing the 844 inshore / popping blank? Any reviews etc? Looking to build this for a kayak rod maybe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rainshadow rx8
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 07:47PM

Hello Wes. The last three years I have fished an XP845 and recently built another as a backup. I normally fish mine with a popping cork. For lures I would go with an 843 and still be able to fish live bait using one of the cigar shaped floats. In all my years of fishing I have gone from an 842 for 1/4 oz. spoons, an 844 for jig heads and shrimp tails, and finally an 845 for popping cork. Personally I have never liked an 844 but others may differ.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 09:34PM

Solid blanks, although I would recommend the XP903.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.142.---)
Date: February 09, 2014 11:56AM

I've built a good number of the RX8 blanks into rods, although not the one you're thinking of. They have always been impressive blanks, handsome finish, light, sensitive. The TiChrome finish looks great with Gudebrod garnet or equivalent with no CP. It takes on a rich sweet cherry color. I trim with metallic silver mostly, but incorporate a single thread of gold metallic at times, and that is really sharp. Nearly any color looks good with that finish, and because it's a glossy finish, the rods look very handsome. Given a choice, I will take a glossy blank.

I have no experience with kayak fishing, so would you mind telling me the logic that leads you to a popping rod action?

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.comporium.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 08:47AM

I'm thinking the popping just because of the moderate fast action and the ability to load the rod from a seated position. Plus I like all the Batson blanks I have built before just always been used for heavier saltwater/surf. And not to mention the guy wanted all the qualities of the 844, even without realizing it. He even named the line, lure, action etch exactly as that blank is rated.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2014 12:47PM

Gee Wes

I wish all my customers did that LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 10:18PM

I built an 844 for a customer in Texas who uses it for specks and flounder. Built as a casting rod and he absolutely loves it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.cm.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 01:03PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee Wes
>
> I wish all my customers did that LOL

Bill, this guy is one of only two that I have ever had tell me that. Everyone else always has some crazy idea in their head that always needs to be tweaked in some way.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2014 06:26PM

Thanks for the good laugh Wes

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.nwnn.ga.charter.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 11:26AM

Michael,

I just wanted to thank you for posting your color recommendation of the Gudebrod garnet on an Batson RX8 TiChrome blank. did not have any, of that color, so I got some ProWrap Merlot. I just put the first coat of thread epoxy, and it looks fantastic! The black cherry look is elegant on that blank. Thanks for sharing!

Bert Nagy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster