I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap on heavy rod
Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 01:55PM

I have built a couple fluke rods with spirals and now I want a striper/cod rod with spiral. I heard that it mite "pull" the 2nd guide off the blank since the pressure will be on the side of the insert. does this happen with the heavier rods? I try to transition the line fast to the underside so I tend to use less guides. for fluke rods its not bad but just curious about the heavier rods. thanks!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap on heavy rod
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 02:15PM

OMG, lmao. No, it doesnt' happen. Spiral wrap it and stop worrying, what blank?

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: February 05, 2014 02:49PM

I build all of my musky rods spiral wrapped, I have yet to have a guide pull off. I have even used size 4 alconite fly guides as running guides with no problem.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 03:09PM

Hello Greg.

Last summer I brought a Tiger Shark(about 300#) to the boat with a spiral wrapped Seeker GTS 60XH, great fight.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 04:06PM

bill, its an old seeker 748 that I showed you a couple years ago at your gathering in si. I didn't like the way it came out the first straight wrapped time so im redoing it spiral. whats the new seeker for that model?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 04:11PM

There should not be any pressure on the side of any guides
if there is Adjust - with pressure on the rod so the line lays in the bottom of the ring - not the side

I always let the line tell me where the guides go -- With pressure on the blank as fish on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 04:30PM

IT's an Inshore Heavy. DOn't stress it too much, leave teh first guide up on top, turn the next to so the line touches when it's fully flexed, and turn teh rest to teh bottom. It'll be fine like that, and you won't have to worry abotu cleanign teh blank since the guides will go in teh same places. IT's not 100% perfectly ideal doing that, but you'll be fine with that particular blank.

SOunds like oyu need to come to another gatheirng, lol.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2014 04:35PM

There doesn't have to be any side pressure on the 2nd guide. It all depends on what spiral system you choose.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 05:04PM

If you are using Guide Resipies for certain ways to place guides

They are are all Subject to Adjustment If they are not just right -- Adjust them You are not going to Destroy the way the rod performs You will make it perform Better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 10:54PM

not trying to hijack... but do you guys think the bumper setup or the revolver style puts less stress in relation to the original question? will be trying my first spiral next build for offshore jigging and will be using 25-30#s of drag fairly regularly which is why i'm nervous since its my first one

Date: February 06, 2014 07:44AM

In the Simple Spiral, there is no side pressure on any guide. The Bumper guide is pushed directly into the blank, provided you set it up properly.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 06, 2014 10:34AM

As others have suggested, load the blank and let the line tell you where guides need to be between 0 and 180 degrees.

You can do as Billy suggests and just use one small guide to get the line around the blank, or you can use two - let the rod tell you what it wants.

How the rod will be used, the size and style of the reel, and how the blank flexes when fully loaded (taking into account where it is supported or held in the hand) are all factors that may play a part in determining the size and location of transition guides in the spiral.

Date: February 06, 2014 11:39AM

The key thing about the Simple Spiral is that there are no transition guides. Just something to consider.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 02:48PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the Simple Spiral, there is no side pressure on
> any guide. The Bumper guide is pushed directly
> into the blank, provided you set it up properly.
>
> ................

This is exactly how mine setup. Both the 2nd and 3rd guide, the line pulls down into the frame.

I place my butt guide dead center. Looking down the butt guide if I just slightly look left I can see a clean path through the 2nd guide into the 3rd guide. My 4th guide is my first runner on the belly.

Obviously there are 100 and 1 ways to spiral. I've seen a rod with like 5 spiraling guides laid out just inches from each other. Trippy lookin but I bet it works just fine.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: February 07, 2014 12:11PM

James Zimmerman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not trying to hijack... but do you guys think the
> bumper setup or the revolver style puts less
> stress in relation to the original question? will
> be trying my first spiral next build for offshore
> jigging and will be using 25-30#s of drag fairly
> regularly which is why i'm nervous since its my
> first one

I have a spiral wrapped Garfighter that I fish with 27# of strike, it about 35# at full. The stick has fought a lot of fish. Even a couple that stripped the reel with full drag. The guides are doing just fine.

I assume that you will be using a reel that doesn't have a level wind. If so I offset the first guide to the left by 45 degrees. This makes reeling easier. Instead of having to push the line back and forth to level it, you only need to push it to the right. It will come back to the left on its own.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster