I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide feet cracking
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2014 09:23PM

G'day All

I have a few of my old store bought rods that i am going to sell off but a few of them have cracks at the base of the guide feet.I will strip them off
and rebind them before i sell them.Just wanted to know some of the causes of this happening.Thankyou for your replies in advance.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide feet cracking
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2014 09:32PM

Hard to completely prevent. But, making sure the guide feet are ground/shaped to a very shallow taper makes the ends of the feet a bit more flexible and will help considerably.

Date: February 05, 2014 12:49AM

G'day Tom

Thankyou very much for the reply.I will check out the guide feet wont be to surprised as to what i find.Would this be a greater chance of occuring at the
stripper guide on rods that flex more through the blank than a faster type blank which is flexing more towards the top third.Also these are quite light rods
in the 4 to 8/10 lb range.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns17.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 05, 2014 05:27AM

Hi Ray,
Tom is pretty spot on with his assessment. The thinner the ends of the guide feet the less chance of it happening but it still is one of the biggest rodbuilding problems, if not the biggest. Hard to stop it from happening especially with rollers. You should be ok with well formed feet on a light rod.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 03:56PM

If the finish on the guide feet cracks and the guides are truly corrosion proof there is no harm done. I doubt the strength of the guides and the guide wrappings are compromised or the cracks affect the utility of the rod. I appreciate such cracks disturb the craftsmen who build rods and customers who value rods for their aesthetic appearance.

Date: February 05, 2014 08:11PM

Thanks Phil i mainly use titanium coated or titanium guides so yes there shouldnt be any damage to to the rod or components.I guess its an aesthetic thing
and i would like to try and prevent it happening to my builds.

Col i will try and do the best dressing of the guide feet i can.It opened my eyes seeing how much Tony took off the roller guides but i can now understand why.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2014 08:56PM

Hi,

Cracking at the ends of the guide feet. Ahhh! An age old problem. Quite a few years ago I emailed with a rod builder who was a personal friend and I think a neighbor of the Flex Coat owner. I wish I could remember the man's name. He explained that he started each wrap using only two turns of thread before it went up the guide foot. He even sent me a video. He claimed he NEVER had the cracking problem.

Capt Neilf

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2014 09:07PM

It's less visible when you start the wrap at the very edge of the guide foot as you have no point of reference extending beyond it. But it's there.

Date: February 06, 2014 08:51AM

Hi,

I have found the epoxy finishes that set up very quick, a very hot chemical reaction, are very hard and will crack sooner. The newer epoxy finishes that I tried, chose and still use the same one, take longer to surface dry and cure underneath. I believe they stay more flexible over the wrap and take a long time before they crack. Do you folks have the cracking problem when using the titanium frames? I find the feet in these frames to be softer/more flexible. I have not used the titanium frames long enough or often enough to see a pattern.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 10:04AM

Yeah, they can look bad but don't seem to hurt anything really.

Date: February 06, 2014 12:27PM

G'day Neil

Thank you for your replies.Both of the rods i am rewrapping have titanium guides.The rods are a few years old but in very good condition,So not sure of
the epoxy type used.Definitely not something that will harm the rod but for reselling the aesthetics are not a strongpoint so hence the rewrap.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on my builds and seeing what happens.Fingers crossed.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2014 11:24AM

Neil,
Was it John Anderson??

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2014 11:24AM

Neil,
Was it John Anderson??

Date: February 09, 2014 12:46PM

Hi Andrew,
I wish I could remember his name. Unfortunately my memory is getting worse. This was quite a few years ago. We talked on the phone after emailing and he offered to send me a tape of his wrapping style so this had to be before dvds. I do remember him telling me his friend and neighbor was the owner of Flex Coat and he used Flex Coat finish. I do believe that he has passed over.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster