I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shaky Head Blank
Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 06:48PM

I am wondering what rob blank everyone likes for Shaky head fishing and why?

I have been using the Rain Shadow RX7 822.5 X-Fast. This is a 6'10" rod. I am looking for a rod blank
that would be more sensitive with the same specs...

Have you tried any of the HM HMX blanks from Mud Hole or the Rain Shadow Revelation blanks for shaky head?

Mikew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 03:25PM by Mike Wiles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shaky Head Blank
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 09:00PM

I really like the Bushido DS69/4-10 and DS69/8-15. great sensitivity and the price. Paired with microwave guides

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 10:33AM

Where are you fishing? What is the average size of the fish targeted? How much cover is present?

The right rod could be anything from a drop shot rod to a flipping stick, depending on the conditions, size of the fish, and size of the weight. Personally, I use a Batson RX8+S823 on my waters in OH. I'm sure one of the 802.75 models would work well, and for larger fish near heavy cover, I would look toward an MB783 or MB843.

Joe

Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 03:24PM

I am fishing in Texas and catch everything from 12" bass to 8 pounders. Most of the areas do not
have much brush. I do fish around docks but they are not usually an issue.

I have been using the Rain Shadow RX7 822.5 X-Fast. This is a 6'10" rod. I am looking for a rod blank
that would be more sensitive with the same specs...

Have you tried any of the HM HMX blanks from Mud Hole or the Rain Shadow Revelation blanks for shaky head?

Mikew

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 03:30PM

If the RX7 822.5 is working well, take a hard look at the RX8 and RX8+ 822.5. They will be more sensitive with the same specs. The RX8+S822.5 is another great rod, but I lean toward the 823 for shaky head fishing because the tip isn't quite as soft.

I haven't built on a HM MHX yet, but the ones I've handled are pretty impressive.

Another great place to look would be Hydra. Alex will point you in the right direction.

Joe

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 02, 2014 04:48PM

Hydra SJ842 is real popular for shakey. Huge value compared to some of the other models listed here. Vibrations are very sharp and crisp due to our Scrimless Fiber Design.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 04:51PM

I'm with Joe concerning the RX8+ 822.5 blank.

I use them mostly for drop shotting, but also works for shaky head fishing. It is one of the most awesome blanks I've ever used. Light, sensitive, crisp, responsive, with great balance,
Have caught several 6 to 8 lbs+ large mouth on them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 04:52PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 07, 2014 11:57PM

There is a significant difference between the RX7 and RX8. And I suspect a similar difference in the RX8 and RX8+ (never invested in a RX8+). I use a Tennessee Handle with the RX8 822.5 if I am using a light head, say 1/8 oz. with 8 to 10lb test flouro. I move the reel very close to the blank so I can lay a finger on the blank without any expoxy on the butt end of the blank

If I am using a 3/8 to 1/4 is use a RX8 XSB 843. 12 lb floro. (casting outfit)

I had a customer wanting a rod for a 3/4 oz shakey head with a 12" worm. He picked out a CBH80 (RX7), I would have never guessed that combo. Go figure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster