I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Printing Media
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.64.---)
Date: January 31, 2014 11:06AM

I would like to start printing my own decal using my inkjet printer. I am struggling with trying to find which decal paper to use and where to order it online. Do any of you have any recommendations? There is a sponsor on this forum that has a Decal Media Kit but for some reason it won't let me complete the order online and I have left them a couple of messages at least a week ago and have not heard a response from them. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Printing Media
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 31, 2014 01:25PM

That vendor may be getting ready for the ICRBE.

I've had good luck with the paper available at Texascraft.com.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.20.---)
Date: January 31, 2014 03:17PM

I believe the Texascraft media is Papillio, which is what I use. For opaque decals use the white vinyl gloss and set your printer for highest quality and glossy photo paper. For transparent they have a clear. Same printer settings, both are sticky back, not water slide.

Date: January 31, 2014 03:52PM

Thank you! I just placed an order through Texascraft!

Date: January 31, 2014 06:29PM

A few things to remember with inkjet printers. The image needs to be "set" with either Papillio's spray can or hardware store fast dry clear (matte is ok, it will look just fine after epoxy) spray. Otherwise it will just bleed the detail away when epoxy is applied. I always tightly wrap the decals with thin paper then electrical tape wound tightly around the blank/decal to ensure that the decal is really pressed to the blank tightly everywhere. I leave it overnight. I've never found any other way to really nail down the edges, although those with a power winder and some "scrap" thread can do the same thing by winding over the decal its whole length. Then I use just a little CP along the edges of the decal to ensure that there is no separation or lifting caused by the epoxy.

Also keep in mind that with an inkjet, what you have as white will show white on a white background decal, like the white gloss, but it will be clear on the transparent decals. Also, I've never been able to do a good job on silver with my inkjets. They just don't do a good job on the stuff like abalone images or some fish skin images. If its regular color, it will do well. In some cases you may want to increase the amount of ink you're putting down by adjusting the intensity settings on your printer. If you don't like the results the first time you print, experiment. This issue is more likely to occur with the transparent decals than the white gloss.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 10:17AM

have you tried Decal Connection to see what they want to make them Less problems

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 01, 2014 01:12PM

Decal Connection is good. I've dealt with them and I highly recommend them when it makes sense. For hobby builders wanting to do one of a kind decals it makes more sense to design them to be consistent with the capabilities of the inkjet printer and do the decals themselves. Decal Connection can do many things an inkjet cannot, and for quantities of decals they are a great choice.

Date: February 01, 2014 07:00PM

I have ordered through Decal Connections before. They have excellent service and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. I just thought I would speed up the turnaround time by printing them at home. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Date: February 02, 2014 07:41PM

They are also very quick

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 02, 2014 07:42PM

They are also very quick

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Joachim (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 11, 2014 07:47PM

I am looking for decal media to use in a laser printer. I need to print the colors green, yellow, and black. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick
HOOK EM ALL CUSTOM RODS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster