I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ratcheting down lock reel seat
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2014 04:59PM

A customer gave me a panfish rod sold by Gander Mountain and asked me to build one just like it. Problem is, it has a reel seat on it that looks just like the Fuji IPSHKS seat. The down locking front grip has a ratcheting stop built into it and in front of the reel seat is a hexoginal piece about 1 1/4 long that goes up into the foregrip.

Having looked everywhere I know to find such an item has turned up nothing. Does anyone know who makes this ratcheting lock and who might carry it.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried to post a photo but seem to be having trouble getting logged in.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ratcheting down lock reel seat
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 29, 2014 05:47PM

Sometimes a picture will help, can you post one for us?

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2014 08:30PM

Tom,
Call your client, and ask him if he cares about the particular reel seat that you use on the rod.
I realize that he said to make one like it, but many rods sold in sporting goods stores are imported and reel seats and guides are simply not available in the US that match.

You might call and make a suggestion about a possible different reel seat that he might like to have on the rod.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 08:31PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 30, 2014 09:35AM

Hi Roger

When my client came to me he brought his broken old rod with him. As we discussed options, colors, etc on the new rod he mentioned how much he liked that ratchet type foregrip and wanted the same if possible. I told him that I didn't believe it was available based on the fact that I had never seen this setup anywhere from my suppliers before but would check again.

At this point I have two options either tell him, as you suggest, it is not available and strongly suggest that he go with factory made Fuji on the entire setup. Or I can strip the hex tube off the old rod and re-epoxy it on the new one, as the foregrip is in very nice comndition. Not sure I want to do all of that though.

I will call him and let the decision be his and see if he is willing to pay for all the additional labor............and yes the old one was made in China.

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 04:51PM

Tom -

I think that I might have something similar to what you are looking for, been in my dust bin a long time. Your e-mail is hidden, please contact me OR unhide your e-mail.

Jim -

Date: January 30, 2014 07:19PM

Thanks Jim

I didn't realize my email was hidden so I unlocked it, thanks again

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster