I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Rod Dryer
Posted by: Ron Orga (12.155.102.---)
Date: January 28, 2014 07:49PM

I was looking for a new rod dryer and after looking at several options decided to go with the FUJI FMM2 Finishing Motor and Stand. I was really impressed with this dryer. The dryer uses prongs to hold the rod and does not allow any slippage. The rod goes in or out in a second. The prongs are coated with plastic sleeves and holds the blank or grip without leaving any marks. I have found it can firmly hold a fly rod by the tip (I have gone down to 4mm with no problem) or a rod butt over 2 inches. There are no locking nuts to work loose and loosen the grip which could drop the blank during drying (a real pain). Every rod I have put it turns perfectly true and there is no wobble. Of all the different dryers I have used, this by far the best. Thought I would share my experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Rod Dryer
Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 08:02PM

I have their chuck system, but it does not fit our traditional motor shaft size which bummed me out!
Looks like a great way to secure the rods!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 09:52PM

I got two of these many years ago And have NEVER had a rod fall off it when drying

I keep hearing of all this new stuff -- rods fall off in the middle of the night Builder wakes up with his rod on the floor ????? has to do it ALL OVER

IT uses rubber bands Yes Two for a light rod and four for any thing else
And never had a rod FALL off and had to do it over

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 11:19PM

Andrew,
Any mounting system can easily be adapted to a different sized motor shaft with a simple aluminum coupling made in a shop with a couple of different sized holes drilled into each end.
Be safe

Date: January 29, 2014 06:20AM

Bill, No rubber bands are required. The prongs hold the blank in by themselves.

Date: January 29, 2014 08:15AM

And if those Prongs ever get bent Stuff happens It gets dropped stepped on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 29, 2014 02:06PM

how much of an idiot do you have to be to step on the prong that is attached to a motor?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 29, 2014 02:26PM

Ron...SO glad to see someone discover all the really nice features of the dryer. We knew it was a unique product the minute we saw it. The springy jaws are the most versatile we have seen for blanks, handles, tip sections of two piece rods...the design will hold just about anything.

Date: January 29, 2014 04:45PM

yes, it is nice to be able to put a rod in the dryer "jaws" and not have to worry about the rod falling out. Also, the ability to put a rod tip in the clamp makes it easy when you just need to do a single piece of a multi piece rod. I actually liked it so much I bought a second dryer. Really good product.

Date: January 29, 2014 04:51PM

Ridge

That is just like the chuck that builders have had there rods fall off there dryers ( no name )
or when builders don't like using rubber bands to hold there rod on there dryer chuck
Now if I have seen the same one it is made with posts to be able to use rubber bands to help hold the jaws closed

Now there is a Wire chuck to hold my rod on a dryer
I have been using Rubber Bands for MANY years and Never - Never had a rod fall off my dryer

I think they work Plus there is a Set Screw to hold the chuck onto the motor shaft -- a big plus

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 04:54PM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 29, 2014 07:00PM

Bill,

This FUJI rod dryer does not use nor does it need rubber bands to hold the rod securely in place. The prongs hold it without any effort. You may be thinking of a different model. I also can not think of a situation where the prongs could be damaged from someone stepping on the dryer. I use mine on my work bench and have not had an instance where I came close to stepping on the dryer.

Ron

Date: January 29, 2014 08:16PM

Maybe it is good But i always wait till builders use a new piece of equipment and then find out how it is

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 29, 2014 09:33PM

Bill,

Read first post.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 06:28AM

ridge orjalesa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how much of an idiot do you have to be to step on
> the prong that is attached to a motor?

Its not to hard when you use your bench top for sweatin to the oldies.......

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 08:44AM

I have been using one of the chucks for maybe close to year now. It holds rods very well. Only problem I have with it is when doing repairs on some heavier boat rods they kind of turn and than fall a little. Still works fine but was a little concerning at first. Never had a rod move out of the chuck at all. It stays right where you put it. It is very quick and I would recommend it to anybody.

John

Date: January 30, 2014 12:12PM

On real heavy rods I put at least 4 rubber bands on And make sure the rod is level

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster