I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote
Posted by: Ron Flowers (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 07:50AM

So, does anyone have their products in stock? Looking for the 2 or 4 oz. sizes. I ordered some from a shop in Jersey on the 8th but no product yet and cannot get them to return calls or emails. I have a rod waiting to be finished and have delayed the customer way too long. Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 09:22AM

Try Mud Hole. Sponsor on the left.

Date: January 27, 2014 09:27AM

Nope, they're out of stock.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 09:42AM

if you can not find any why not get some thing else to at least finish the customers rod ??
I have been using Flex Coats - UV - clear and like it Got to be a new formula

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2014 11:20AM

Bill, I tried the std. Flex Coat last year and in three months it turned yellow. UV clear? I haven't seen that one but, i haven't looked at Flex coat since. I'll check it out, thanks.
Bill, would that be Ultra V?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 11:28AM by Ron Flowers.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 12:01PM

Ron...give Mudhole a call. I will bet you will find that they do have some in stock. There was a down time when it was hard to find but it should be back in stock.

Date: January 27, 2014 12:13PM

Don, Their site says out of stock. I called a few weeks ago and was told possibly by the end of the month but maybe longer. I will try again. Thanks, Ron

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-193.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 12:36PM

Ron

I agree, that is unacceptable. Flex Coat that turns yellow in three months is not what we have based our 37 year business on. That sounds like the finish was under mixed. When the finish is under mixed premature yellowing can occur. There is a big difference in finish mixed 99.99% and finish mixed 100%.

Have you seen our video on measuring and mixing our finish? Here is a link
[www.flexcoat.com]

If you have any questions give us a call. We always answer our phone and would love to talk to you.
512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 12:42PM

X10 on Ron's comments on the flex coat.

Thousands of rod are built every year, with the original flex coat and don't have any particular yellow appearance after some very long times in the sun.

All that I have ever used is the original high build flex coat and really don't have any particular yellowing issues after long periods of rod use.

Be safe

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 04:44PM

I ordered 4 oz pro kote from mudhole last monday, got it on friday.

Date: January 27, 2014 05:48PM

yes the flex coat has a large following
But I have found the Ultra V is a thinner formula and has a longer pot life letting it flow out a lot better
And in the cup the finish is Clear But with the old formula it would be a yellow tint
And I mix well

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2014 06:00PM

John, the first rods I built were with Flex Coat and I didn't notice any yellowing on those but they were black rods with black thread. I have had one of those back in my shop and it looked fine. The rod I'm referring to was a white rod that the customer broke and returned for warranty. I noticed right off that the epoxy had yellowed considerably. I know of Flex Coats reputation and was not intending to knock your product. If I thought your product was less than what people know it to be, I would not have ordered it when I couldn't get the ProKote. I mixed it for three minutes like I always have but will watch the video. Maybe I need to mix it longer. I do realize that hundreds , if not thousands of people use Flexcoat and that many dealers carry only Flex Coat products.

I did get a refund from the shop in Jersey today and also an emal from Scott Gimbert with ProKote saying that Mudhole should have it in stock. I guess I need to call them because their site still says out of stock. Thanks for all the replys, Ron

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-198.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 06:21PM

No worries, Ron. Just trying to help you out and get to the source of the problem. That's why we monitor this site. It really is a great resource for rod builders and I enjoy sending people here all the time that don't know about it.

I do recommend our Ultra-V formula for you white blank builds.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: January 27, 2014 06:45PM

With the new Ultra V i don,t need several finishes

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 11:13AM

Hi Ron,

Due to the popularity of ProKote – the demand has outstripped the supply recently. We have shipments arriving but as soon as they are opened they are gone, we are working on getting on top of the supply issue and hope to have the depth of inventory increased to cover the demand. The next shipment is due in this Friday, we currently have the 4oz in stock.

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster