I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reading knowledge for the beginer to advanced rod builder
Posted by: Joseph F. Haney (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 08:46PM

Last August 24 i took the mudhole rod building class..and from that day my life has completely changed for the better. In a very short period i have consumed as much info and knowledge as retainable..So learning the basics taught in the class, i continued to search and seek the methods used by the guru's and experienced rod crafters . Long over do and a feeling of making up for the lost years i ordered Rodmaker magazine after finding this amazing website. i received my first issue of rod maker magazine and love it..Very excited to be part this amazing craft , art and science to say the least ..

Tom: I read the article "Orgins" and was pleased to see those were two books i had written down to purchase for my library or read next time im at the i.g.f.a. library in Dania Beach..I have since ordered and received Advanced Custom Rod Builder by Dale p. Clemens copy right 2008 20013. (ordered fron Jannsnetcraft)

The book should be owned by the beginner or advanced rod builder. I have built 8 rods of various styles except fly rod and this book helps me as a confidence boost of early builds and how to further advance my crafting wit and skills while remaining humble with future builds and challenges.
:)

Tho not abable to teach every single detail out there.. it too like those books mentioned in "Orgins" stands as a foundation of fundamentals while allowing the artist a guide to finding and prefecting their way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reading knowledge for the beginer to advanced rod builder
Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 09:04PM

I guy at work gave me a hard back copy of advanced custom rod building by Dale Clemens.The more I read it I learn things that i would never think about about rod building.What other books are good?

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: January 26, 2014 09:11PM

Boyd Pfeiffers' lastest update is an encyclopedia of tackle making knowledge. Everybody should have a copy on their shelf. It's huge and will put you on the path to any sort of tackle making you may wish to do at some point in the future. The rod building portion is excellent and has been expanded again.

Tom's book Rod Building Guide is more than just a basic instructional manual. If you really take the read it you will understand why certain things are done. Everybody should keep a copy of this handy.

Rodmaker magazine is the best means for keeping up to date.

Posted by: James Zimmerman (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 01:09AM

will have to check out Mr. Clemens book... bout to start my 5th build so i'm still pretty dang new but can see this will be something I do for the rest of my life. glad I started young!!

Posted by: Matt Carroll (---.amgen.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 07:26AM

Tom Kirkman's book is very good as well as any of the Dale Clemen's. I recently bought Billy Vivona's book to advance my wraps, my last couple of wraps have been the best I've ever done thanks to Billy's book.

I actually reread sections of Advanced custom rod building recently and it's amazing what Dale and the other pioneers did with a piece of paper and imagination. No Excel or Visual wrap program just imaginations, trail and error and dedication. Hats off to those guys.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 03:25PM

Hello David.

For Basic you also have the
If you are into or want to get into weaving, Jim Upton has a very good book; "A Guide to Thread Waving", there are many video's out there as well, such as Doc Ski's "Custom Rod Building & Wrapping" or his "Advanced Weaving Techniques" and probably more.

There is a series by Artie Hebert(I have 5 of his video's), Ken Preston, "Rod Building Basics & Additional Techniques" & U-Tube stuff, MudHole, "Mud Hole's Rod Building 101" & U-Tube stuff, "Flex Coat How We Do It" U-Tube Series & the "Flex Coat How To Build Custom Rods".

There are Just Tons of Fly Rod Building stuff out there.

Lots to Learn and not enough time to Learn.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 29, 2014 10:18AM

Ken Finch
"Boyd's latest update" I have been thinking about getting this book but with the electronic media its hard to imagine that a printed bound book has modern and up to date techniques. I mean even Rodmaker mag which comes out 6 times a year is constantly publishing new ideas and innovations. I know a little about rod building. I know nothing about lure making but would like to. In your opinion Ken is this book I find helpful?

Buzz

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: January 29, 2014 10:48AM

Well, guys still find the Clemens book helpful and it has not been updated in what, about thirty years or something? Boyd's new book is new as of about this time last year so I'd say you will find it helpful. It just covers so much and so many techniques that its like an encyclopedia. Most electronic media stuff I see is just trickle down from the books and mags anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 10:48AM by Ken Finch.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 29, 2014 12:36PM

Thanks Ken, I will pick one up.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 02:26PM

My neighbor that I have fixed a rod for just gave me a copy of Boyd Pfeiffer tackle making book.it looks like a great book.

christmas does come more than once a year

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster