I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

will this all work?
Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:13PM

getting ready to order parts. i want a bobber jig rod for steel head. blank will be st1203-mhx 10 ft 6-12 lb 3/8 to 3/4 lure wt med power fast action. i want to use the microwave system. it will be casting stop knots also,
Q 1 i want to run size six running guides , the stock guides dont look like micros, so what can i use? just a single foot size six?
Q 2 i have yet to find any positive info on using microwaves on a longer rod,
any info would be great, even if im going in the wrong direction lol thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: will this all work?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:30PM

You want to run whatever guide size/s will do the job properly. Additional rod length just means you'll use more running guides.

When you say "micro guides" exactly what size are you referring to? You want to make sure your guides are neither too large nor too small for your particular application.

Date: January 26, 2014 07:56PM

the running guides that come with the microwave system are size five. they dont look like a micro type guide they look a little taller, i would like to use size six for the runners i dont see where i can upgrade the kit. all i have is catalogues its hard to tell what to replace the runners with

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2014 08:05PM

Mike,

There is nothing wrong with replacing the runners of the Microwave system. You need to use what you need for the build.

Is there a reason that you want the 6s over the 5s? Take your choice of 6mm single foot fly guides. If ice up is a consideration, take a hard look at Pac Bay Minimas for the runners. 6mm minimas are a great option here. They offer a great balance between ring ID and weight.

A well trimmed nail knot bobber stop can be passed through 3mm guides, and I have on the rare occasion I want to use a bobber on my panfish rods. Clearly I wouldn't design design a rod for use with bobber stops with 3mm runners, and would likely move to 5mm guides in that instance. You will have no issue passing the stops through 5mm guides. They aren't all that much smaller than 6mm guides when you see them side by side.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 08:07PM

Any guide ring that is Under a size 6 is Micro

Just add to the set of guides the same ones They are listed
As long as your line and knots clear the size 6 ring ??????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2014 08:38AM

i think joe answered the question thanks. just to be clear the microwave system only offers extra size five runners, they look taller then the fly guides and what is called micro guide by other companies. looks like they may be the same size as a standard size six . its hard to tell from a cat pic...

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 09:48AM

If you are casting bobber stops through your guides, the size 5's that come with the microwave are too small. I actually move up to size 6 minima's or size 7 standard if a customer is casting bobber stops through the guides. For weight, this is an application I would consider minimas in a size 6 to perform well in your case.

For those that don't bobber fish for steelhead, many anglers use a bobber stop attached to the main line constructed of braid or light dacron with the tag ends sticking out a bit. The stop sets the depth of the offering under the bobber, which may be 6 feet or so, and would be difficult to cast with a fixed bobber. This means that the bobber stop has to go through some or all of the running guides when casting.

Let us know what you decide!

Terry

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 11:27AM

Mike,

So you can see some guides in relative sizes. Here are some guides from various suppliers in sizes 4mm-6mm.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Joe

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.20.---)
Date: January 27, 2014 06:09PM

Unless your knots are really large, the 5 mm guides that come with the Microwave set should work fine. Give them a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 07:25PM

If you don;t want to get a set what about this butt guide and you can add what you want as runners ??

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Smith (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 29, 2014 11:50PM

Well, my reply is probably, but what is the point? Just have $ burning a hole in your pocket? The main benefit of using micros is to lighten the rod for more sensitivity. Unless you have figured out a way to feel a jig underneath a bobber, you are probably just thinking about a build that will just end up limiting you at some point. Your bobber stops may be more prone to hang, and if that happens with a fish on while trying to land it at your feet, game over. Also, good luck if you are fishing in below freezing weather, any ice up, casting becomes tough quickly.
I like thinking outside the box also, but not to the point of limiting functionality for its intended purpose. Regardless, have fun with your build.

Date: January 30, 2014 08:38PM

i want to use the microwave system for smoother and longer casting. the microes are part of the system. i tie my own bobber stops any size i want theres really no cure for ice up. if i go up on the runners it will help. when it gets to bad i use another rod that has some big fuji guides on it but it freezes too.

Date: February 05, 2014 08:58AM

got my order from mud hole, really suprized at how small the microwave guides are. going with size sixes for the runners. thanks for the help.. so far lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster