I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guides
Posted by: Robert Moody (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 05:55PM

Does anyone have any tricks for the easy installation of micro guides on a typical ultralight. On small micros it is hard enough to hold the guide in one piace, but due to thread tension it tends to distort the rod when getting toward the tip section. I have thought about installing a second blank inside the original rod to make stiffer. It just seems like an extra amount of work. Come on guys, get the creative cells working as I am going nuts trying to come up with a solution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guides
Posted by: Chad Hefflinger (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:07PM

I recently did a couple of rods using the nanomicro guides (size #1). I used elastic sewing thread to hold the guides on the rod and a tooth pick through the eye of the guide to place them under the elastic thread I had tied on the rod. With the guides held in place with the elastic it allowed me both hands to start the wrap and minimize the rod flex. Once I had the wrap half way up the eye I just cut the elastic off and continued up the guide. I bought the elastic thread at Wal-Mart for $0.98 and it was a lifesaver for these microscopic guides. I have used it on lager guides with good success, but the cut up surgical tubing holds the larger guides more securely for me.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:16PM

Have you considered passing a wire such as Malin stainless steel wire through the blank? Probably about 110 pound wire. You could run a dowel across the butt end to fasten the wire. At the tip you would need to keep the wire straight. This would require a clamp for the wire that attaches to a swivel that is mounted to a stantion. Of course, the tip top would be installed last.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Mike Young (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2014 07:50PM

I'm going to try very small orings with a 1/32nd width to secure micro guides next time I use them.

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 10:53AM

I use dental ligatures (very small o rings) to hold the micros in place. They won't solve the flexing of the tip section of the rod but certainlyfree up both hands, they are cheap and work amazing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 11:22AM

Robert,
A very simple solution.
1. Use the very small 0 rings as Don posted to secure the guides.
Very inexpensive and very simple to use. Just slip enough 0 rings over the tip before starting to wrap and of the smaller guides. Put on an extra one or two in case you need a spare. Then, just slip the extras up toward the tip as you wrap and finish a guide.

2. Then use a simple setup as shown in the following picture:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a simple piece of plastic cutting board, drilled with multiple holes to hold the end of a piece of solid glass blank. Use a dremel tool with a grinding wheel to notch the top end of each blank piece.
Then, when wrapping the small ends of rods, simply place the portion of blank with the guide on it that you will be wrapping, between the two posts.
Because the multiple holes drilled about 1/2 inch apart on the base, you can have the vertical pieces as close as 1/2 inch or as wide as the widest hole spacing while holding the blank section stable.

Set up the base and the length of the vertical pieces to be able to set the base on the bench, or on top of your wrapper base to have the slots in the solid blanks end up being at the same height of your rod being wrapped.

Basically the cost of the rod support is 0, since the support can be made from scrap laying around the shop.

If you don't happen to have any solid blanks, you can easily order a solid ice rod blank in about a medium power for about $3 from various vendors.

The dental elastics and the support for small blank sections make wrapping these thin blanks an easy thing to do.

In the picture I happen to be drying ice rods that have been wrapped with small ice guides on very tiny and flexible ice rod blanks. Even these flexible rods were easy to wrap using the afore mentioned technique.

Be safe

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 27, 2014 12:41PM

for small guides on ice rods, which are like wrapping a wet noodle, I scuff the bottem of the guide with a round file then put the smallest dot possible (using a pin point) of CA on the blank and set the guide on top for a few seconds to set. when I wrap it, it stays in place if I need to move it I can as the smallest amount of CA does not hold it there that well just good enough to wrap.

I would guess that this would work on a normal ultra light as it does on a 2/64 ice rod tip.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 12:43PM by Eric Viburs.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 01:02PM

Roger,

Thanks for posting the picture of the rod tip support stand. I have always struggled with wrapping the tip guides....'guess I've gotten brain dead in my old age! I'll have to build one today!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2014 03:07PM

Don,
You are welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster