I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spider wrap: when do you start wrapping in bands?
Posted by: jim jackson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 02:03PM

I see where people wrap "background" in bands when doing closed wraps. I'm not sure what constitutes "background" though, for, let's say a spider. Is the background everything on the "box out" plus 1 wrap? Let's say I'm on the 3rd pass on box out plus 1, creating the background that the spider legs sit on top of. would i wrap a single band of 3 threads out on all 4 sides of the box? our would I lay one thread up on top of box, on thread down top of box, on thread up bottom box, one thread down bottom box, repeat 3 times? (in this case, bands wouldn't be used until the spider is complete, and I am filling in space between spiders.)

Got my layout threads ready.... Thanks. Jim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spider wrap: when do you start wrapping in bands?
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 29, 2014 09:32AM

To me, a band is two or more threads wrapped next to each other.

As to your question, you can do a band at that point in the wrap or lay the threads singly.

Bands lay down quickly compared to single threads and they can be moved more easily later on because of the fewer cross points with other threads crossing the band.

When Bands cross each other, they create a sawtooth effect. When single threads cross each other you would have a straighter seam.

This is my own personal opinion: to me I think decorative wraps look better when made from single threads if they are well executed and the wrapper takes the time to make everything look perfect. However, in some cases (such as when completing some geometric wraps) having perfectly vertical and horizontal "seams" formed from laying bands as single crossing threads can actually change the appearance of a pattern that relies strongly on angular geometrics in the background to compliment angular geometrics in the foreground pattern colors. One example comes to mind, a foreground image of a Thunderbird (or spider, fish) with a shaded transition background of many colors (of uniform band width among colors); in this case the uniform width of the bands would generate a uniform sawtooth effect where the bands cross and might compliment the foreground pattern, whereas if the background used varying width bands of colors in the transition, the sawtooth crossings would be of various matching sizes and not look uniform, thus detracting or distracting from the foreground pattern.

It should also be noted that straight seams, or sawtooth bands, of background tend to be more visible with regular threads and less visible with NCP threads, so you can take that into account also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 10:43AM by John E Powell.

Re: spider wrap: when do you start wrapping in bands?
Posted by: jim jackson (143.111.22.---)
Date: January 29, 2014 04:16PM

OK, John, Thank you. I did this wrap single thread at a time, and it did not take me that long. I am not in a race! It is 35 degrees outside!
But i understand exactly what you are saying, and I will think about this next wrap. I will also keep my eyes out in pics of other wraps and see if i can see this effect you are talking about at the seams. Thanks. Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster