I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spinning Rod
Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 10:00AM

I want to build my son a spinning rod for his graduation this spring. He is studying agriculture and his favorite farm machinery is Massey Ferguson. So I want to make the rod red and the seat and or grip a flint metallic grey. I know I will have to paint the rod red to get the color I want but am not sure about the grip. The big problem is I have only made fly rods and have no knowledge of how to build a spinning rod nor have I ever fished with a spinning rod. I see some beautiful examples on this site and I will need some help deciding what I need. In stead of my normal feather inlay I want to get some toy tractor MF decals and put in that area.
We live in a rural part of Iowa so most of his fishing is farm ponds and lakes for Bluegill Crappie and Bass. He has an ultra light spinning set up and a bigger one that looks like he could land a shark with. I want to build a medium rod for lack of knowledge as to what it would be called.
So what I am looking for is help picking all the components or a place I can go to get that information. As far as price I would say somewhere in the middle range and again I am not sure what price ranges blanks are. I did look on a couple sponsor sites and there are so many kinds of blanks in that area that I am not sure what to look for. I don't mean to sound stupid about other types of fishing but for the last 30 years I have used nothing but a fly rod and before that I fished with a worm and a bobber.
So I am sure you will have some question and things I will have to find out so fire away.

PS. I am not looking for someone to do all the work for me just point me in the right direction. I have asked some how to questions on this site and have been amazed at the responses and how detailed some of them were. This is a great site for information and I thankful for all the help it provides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rod
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 24, 2014 11:29AM

A MHX spinning blank kit from mudhole might be the easiest way to go. Call them up and discuss your needs. Local auto body place will give you the best possible paint job/match.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 11:41AM

I would look at the Batson discontinued and blank insanity sales from Get Bit. There is usually a 7' 8-17 spin/jig rod on sale some place of good quality every month or so, think I saw a 7' 6-12 ml today at get bit. The mhx series from mudhole would also be something to look at. These are both reasonably priced blanks of good quality and have many options. If your not sure of the blank you want then I would just find a suitable blank on sale because seems like many will fit the bill. I have done in the past with good luck and batson blanks. If interested, I would recommend Amtac microwave guides as well. They are very easy to set up following a simple formula provided and if you don't have a reel yet will provide the best results overall. Goodluck

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 12:01PM

Daniel,

I would second the recommendation of the American Tackle Micro Wave Guides for a spinning rod. The guide sets come with the recommended guide spacing for various length rods and they cast great! As for a blank recommendation you can't go wrong with either a Mudhole Blank of a Rainshadow blank from Batson.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 12:02PM by Donald R Campbell.

Date: January 24, 2014 12:18PM

I looked at the MHX kit 6-12. How do I get the grip color changed as I would like it to be grey and even better how do I get a MF in the grip? I have seen different designs in this type of handle.

Date: January 24, 2014 12:23PM

Also what is the area that looks like the blank between what I would call a fighting butt and the reel seat. What is that for?

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 12:34PM

First of all, I like the idea of Microwaves, but I would call Bingham Enterprises from the sponsor list and ask about a white rod from there house brand Bing blanks...
These are great blanks and I believe they are equal in quality to the MX and Rainshadow, but at half the price!!!
Second, I wouldn't do a red paint job on the whole blank...Too bright, like a pair of red jeans...And with only grey thread, for contrast, sort of dull, at least in my minds-eye.
Go with the M-F colors in your thread work...Red and grey on a white blank will look great together! Work in a few black trim bands to make the colors pop and to tie in the guides and seat...
This way the reel seat and guides can be black, so there's no extra expense for painted parts no worries about chipping or wear.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 12:46PM

Several of the sponsors on the left have red rod blanks. If you find one that suits your needs you wouldn't have to go through the process of painting it. I've just finished building a Phenix XG1 which is red. Not sure if it will fit your needs but it is my new favorite rod. I'll post pictures of it this weekend. The guides were wrapped in black, white and orange. I did consider a metallic pewter colored thread that might work for your desired color combo.

Google "Massey Ferguson colors" and you will find the pantone color numbers that are correct for MF and you can match threads to make it look just like an MF tractor. I have to say that I grew up in Moline and worked my way through college building combines for John Deere, so you may want to consider green and yellow instead. Just kidding, good luck with it.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 12:49PM by Steve Hartzell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 12:58PM

I like the white blank Anything put on it will pop
Take a look at mudholes painted seats

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 01:00PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: January 24, 2014 01:47PM

Daniel:

On spinning and casting rods, the angler may seldom touch the area between the "fighting butt" and the back fo the reel seat. Therefore, having cork there does not serve a purpose. Many builders therefore don't put grip material there, creating what is called a split grip. To change the colour of the grip, call Mudhole, they may change it out if they have those items in a different colour.

All of the mechanics of building a spinning rod are the same as for a fly rod. Some of the components are different, but the process is the same. The mudhole kit may come with specifications for the positioning of the components of the grip. If I am unsure of where to start with a grip layout, I start with the grip length numbers fromt he St. Croix site and work from there to get the feel that I want.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: January 24, 2014 01:56PM

As far as I know, the kits are "get what you get" type. It still may be advantageous if you use blank and guides. The area between the grips is exposed blank of the split grip and really serves no purpose but to shed weight. It can also really be a nice place to add decoratives like labels, thread art, abalone, etc. You have alot of possibilities with eva inlays for grips. You can find them in blocks of all sorts of colors and the design possibilities are endless. Check out Billy Vivona's work. Probably more than all your components combined if he were to make you one, but they do add that personal touch if its a $ option.

Date: January 24, 2014 01:56PM

As far as I know, the kits are "get what you get" type. It still may be advantageous if you use blank and guides. The area between the grips is exposed blank of the split grip and really serves no purpose but to shed weight. It can also really be a nice place to add decoratives like labels, thread art, abalone, etc. You have alot of possibilities with eva inlays for grips. You can find them in blocks of all sorts of colors and the design possibilities are endless. Check out Billy Vivona's work. Probably more than all your components combined if he were to make you one, but they do add that personal touch if its a $ option.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.20.---)
Date: January 24, 2014 03:49PM

A blank that would look great with red trim would be the Rainshadow titanium chrome finish, a glossy, titanium gray color that loves red trim. I would caution you not to go nuts on all the red. MF tractors and their implements also have blacks and grays, so those colors will not look out of place and will give a classy look. If you do ramps off the reel seat by making them from reel seat shims, they may be painted any color you want and will provide ideal spots for decals. I do rods of this type all the time, and they can really be sharp.

[clients.criticalimpact.com]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you prefer the white blank, I just did a white Mudhole blank SJ842-W-MHX, and it is more moderately priced than the titanium chrome blanks and I believe the action is exactly what you describe. The total rod weighs just 3.4 oz. If you paint the ramps white the tractor decals will really stand out. You can do a logo in front of the "fighting butt" too.

If you need help on decals we can take it off line. What you are trying to do is exactly what I've been doing for the last few years, and the rods look stunning, and quite unlike anything most fishermen have seen before. The difference is in the decorated ramps + custom decals instead of cork.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 03:54PM

For a M-F rod, I would choose a white blank and do a tiger-wrap between the butt and the reel seat and ahead of the reel seat...Black and white, or silver on the bottom layer, red on top, with grey and black trim bands at each end. Finish with black components, and your home and dry without any special order stuff.

Date: January 24, 2014 05:13PM

Wow I am overwhelmed but getting a lot of ideas!
I don't know how to do tiger wraps and I do like that ramp idea but have never done that either. I see there is instructions for that so I will check it out.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 06:45PM

I figured you might be Daniel. One reason I suggested a kit (but I don't think they are the best idea in general). Really isn't anything different about building a spinning rod. Reel seat goes in a different spot and the guides are a bit different but the general concept is the same.

Food for thought here....I know you want the rod to look a certain way and be special. Part of me questions if that is more important to you or to him. When I think back to such "gifts" from my dad....what I really remember/cherish is the time we spent together using them....far moreso than how "nice" they were. Chances are high his tastes will change over the years but fond memories of special days spent together aren't likely to diminish.

I say build the rod together, forget how it looks, and spend as much time as possible catching as many fish as you can:) Chances are high that a St, Croix series 3 (or higher)....6 to7 foot....ML to M power....would still be a darn good general purpose fishing tool 20+ years from now. Something he could teach his son how to fish with while he tells tall tales about grandpa:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 07:09PM

Russell

That's deep makes me think of my Dad

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 12:03PM

x10 on Russell's idea.
Build it together and enjoy it together.

Much more important than the color or trim of the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 12:03PM

x10 on Russell's idea.
Build it together and enjoy it together.

Much more important than the color or trim of the rod.

Be safe

Date: January 30, 2014 04:59PM

So I like the idea with the white blank and I want to do the two piece handle so how do I get the carbon fiber grips? Are they a complete grip or do you slide the carbon over an existing grip?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster