I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wading Walleye Rod Build-Blank help
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (132.3.49.---)
Date: January 24, 2014 09:37AM

I am researching blanks for my new walleye rod build. This rod will be use for wading throwing 1/16th to 1/8th ounce jigs. I haven't ever built a full length rod so I haven't had the opportunitiy to get my hands on any of these blanks so hopefully you guys will be able to help me decide.

Right now I have a pretty good list of blanks and if I have missed anything don't be afraid to throw it out there.

MHX blanks:
SJ841 7' F L
SJ872 7'3" F ML
SJ9000 F ML
S842 (and the 842 W) F ML

Lamiglas blanks
LSJ781 6'6"

PacBay Blanks
QLSJ780 6'6" F
QLP841 7' MF
T2SJ781 6'6" L F

St. Croix blanks
3S76MLXF 7'6 ML XF

I have looked at the other St. Croix ML XF rods but I don't really want to spend 190 on a blank right now. What do you guys think of these options, is anyone better than the other for what I want to use it for. Is there any better options?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wading Walleye Rod Build-Blank help
Posted by: tom mcfee (---.sip.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 05:42PM

I have the sj841 its ok for the money also have a Batson xsw72ml that I like a lot better for the same jigs you are throwing

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 06:07PM

Another one to consider is the MHX HM-DS8515. I use this rod for for that same application and its great!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 07:14PM

When looking at a blank Always look at the LURE WEIGHT IT may THROW
then COME HERE AND ASK IF IT WILL

nothing WRITTEN IN STONE AND WHEN SOME ONE HAS BUILT IT IT MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU WANT

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 07:53PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When looking at a blank Always look at the LURE
> WEIGHT IT may THROW
> then COME HERE AND ASK IF IT WILL
>
> nothing WRITTEN IN STONE AND WHEN SOME ONE HAS
> BUILT IT IT MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU WANT

bill that is exactly what I am trying to do. Most if not all of those were rated for the size jigs that I am wanting to throw with it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 12:29AM

The St Croix has an almost ultralight soft tip that would load very well with your lure specs, with plenty of reserve power. I've used 2 power spin jig blanks with less power in the butt than this blank. Makes a nice finesse rod in a casting configuration also. The Lamiglas LSJ781 is a light weight blank with a nice crisp action.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 10:23AM

I love my St. Croix 3S76MLF. But I got it from Merrick. Paid less than $100. for it. You need to contact one of the sponsors on the left to see if you can get a discount.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Joe Schaefer (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2014 11:15PM

I currently have an S842 that I use for bobber fishing for panfish and jigging for smallmouth and walleye. I also built one for a friend to use as a walleye jigging rod and he loves it. It has plenty of backbone for larger fish (I landed a 4lb largemouth on it!), yet is sensitive enough for the light bite. I would suggest using light guides on this blank and it can get a little "whippy" with too much weight at the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster