I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

second center pin
Posted by: Tim Demond (172.56.10.---)
Date: January 23, 2014 11:48PM

Hi, this will be my second center pin rod. The first was a basic 13' 2 piece 4-8 line rod with a spinning rod handle kit from Mudhole. I wanted this new one to be more of a custom build with better stuff. It is a 3 piece MHX 6-10 lb 13 foot rod. I need help with the guides and the handle lengths. I have read that the Michigan style rod has a 5" butt section of cork and a 8" fore section. Does this work? I like to fight fish with the butt under my forearm so I favor a longer butt section, 11" or so. I am guessing the idea is to improve the balance of the long rod by moving the reel farther back. The reel seat I was thinking of is the Am. Tac channel allum. the guides Am. Tac. Titan, Nanolite, size 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, ,8 ,8, 8, 8, 8, 8, and a size 8 tip top. I have read from other posts that ice can be a problem in smaller guides and that the Recoil guides tend to move around on the blank. I would like some advice. Would a 8', 8' fore and butt section be a good compromise? Are the Titan titanium guides good for this application? Are the sizes good? I am trying to build a top notch rod, thanks for any input. Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: second center pin
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2014 09:23AM

You have a duplicate size 10 in there that could be omitted and replaced with another size 8. that will straighten the line path a tad.

There was a "how-to" article on building these rods in a no so distant issue of RodMaker. I could look up the issue if that might help. I believe it had quite a bit of information on handle lengths, etc. Failing that, you can always mimic generally handle lengths from commercially made rods that seem to be popular in that area.

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 11:42AM

I prefer the rear grip on CP rods to be roughly the same length in inches as the rod is long in feet, and run the same 4.25" fore grip regardless of rear grip length. (Fore example: 12' rod - 12" rear grip, 13' rod - 13" rear grip, ect.)

Aluminum reel seats are nice but really cold in winter...

Minima guides work great on CP rods, they're lightweight and have a slightly larger ring ID. (You can run 7's instead of 8's, 6's instead of 7's ect.)

Good luck with your new build.

Posted by: Cesar Mendoza (---.qltinc.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 12:45PM

If you wear a chest pack or a vest that is usually fully-loaded and bulging, you will want to have a rear handle length that won't get in the way.

I assume that you are considering titanium-framed guides for weight-savings ... if that is truly the case, you would be better off saving weight by avoiding ceramic rings and going with Minimas, Recoils or Flexilites.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.50.108.216.auroracollege.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 01:07PM

Tim
I have built a lot of CP rods over the years.
My go to guide set up is 20, 12, 8, Running guides of choice, tip
If winter fishing 8's are good. Or you can go as small as 6's if using minima guides. 20, 12,8,8...........tip
If an all around rod with some cold weather use drop down a size on the running and tip guide size. 20,12,8,7.................tip
Warm weather only or semi cold (around freezing) drop down one more size on running and tip guides. 20, 12, 8,6................tip

As for handle length. It is personal preference but I like the butt of the rod to rest on my elbow when holding it like I would when fishing.
Any longer than the elbow it tends to catch on clothing.

Those short butt sections end up putting a lot of strain on your elbow over time.
Fore grip length can be what ever you are comfortable with. I like 6"-8" of for grip, 9" rear grip and my reel seat in between.
This gives me a handle that is comfortable for me.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 12:01AM

to ballance the rod you have to move the reel , why not go with a all cork handle an use slip rings to hold the reel on so you can move the reel up or down to get the ballance point

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: January 25, 2014 02:22AM

I have to agree with Dave.. You say it is a centerpin so I presume you are using a centerpin reel. Is it an offset such as the anglers specialty reel or is it a standard ree. My set up is with my hand on the fore grip my pinky is just touching the rim of the reel. the butt of the rod will be just at my elbow.

If you are using a sizre 17 or 18 reel seat i would think for the average person the rear grip would be 9-10" and a 8-9" foregrip.

Guides 20-12-10-8's to tip . Use a Guide as the tip top.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster