I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RDS dryer reviews?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 03:54PM

I'm thinking of buying the RDS rod dryer i've found at a board sponsor's web site. I'm leaning towards the 18rpm model, thinking the 9rpm version might not be enough of a change. i have a 6rpm model i bought online years ago and it just turns too slow for my needs. i wrap graphite fly rods in a minimalist design, no fancy thread art. i do have one bamboo blank i plan to finish with it as well (thread only, not entire blank).

any reviews or personal experience with this dryer model? private messages are welcome too. i've been out of wrapping for 2 years and starting to get the bug again. at this point, i would rather buy a manufactured/already assembled model, not build my own. thanks!

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RDS dryer reviews?
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 03:58PM

Very good value.
I use the 9rpm for drying.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 04:56PM

I have made my own dryer
I have found that a faster turner to apply finish helps to get finish on in a short time And also helps to make the edges of the finish a lot nicer
I made my own and apply finish at 70 RPMs Using two different sized pullies With a light finish The threads hold more at the higher speed
Then after ( depending on how warm ) i change belts and let dry at a lower speed

maybe if you can make it an adjustable speed You should get better results

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: January 22, 2014 09:12PM

Eric,
Good to see ya back. Still working for the Bee? Hope you have been able to put a good whoopin on the Sierra trout in that neck of the woods. Hope all is well for you. I've since retired and have moved back to the Midwest and am in MO, if you ever get an itch to head over to Truman, you've got a place to stay.

I've not used the 18 yet so I can't comment directly for it but have used a 9 but honestly I still prefer to turn by hand. Yes it is tedious and a pain in the butt however I still prefer hand turned results to those of the dryer.

Tom

Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 11:01PM

I got this dryer set up from Santa. I'm a newbie but it seems like a good deal for the price.

Date: January 23, 2014 04:34AM

thank you everyone. and good to hear from you thomas. i'm still shooting for the paper. we're down to four shooters from a high of 10 due to layoffs. i didn't fish at all last year but i'm getting the urge to fish and wrap the blanks i have sitting in the closet. we have another impending drought for the state so i may have to take up mountain biking instead come May :P.

i know some people spin their rods at very high speeds so i'm thinking 18rpm wont be that much of a problem.

there are a few times i do like to apply while turning the blank by hand in the dryer. mudhole wrote that yes, you can turn the rod when the dryer is off, so offering both options this seems like it would work well for me. thanks for the input. if anyone has anything else to offer, i'm, figuratively, all ears.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: January 23, 2014 04:34AM

thank you everyone. and good to hear from you thomas. i'm still shooting for the paper. we're down to four shooters from a high of 10 due to layoffs. i didn't fish at all last year but i'm getting the urge to fish and wrap the blanks i have sitting in the closet. we have another impending drought for the state so i may have to take up mountain biking instead come May :P.

i know some people spin their rods at very high speeds so i'm thinking 18rpm wont be that much of a problem.

there are a few times i do like to apply while turning the blank by hand in the dryer. mudhole wrote that yes, you can turn the rod when the dryer is off, so offering both options this seems like it would work well for me. thanks for the input. if anyone has anything else to offer, i'm, figuratively, all ears.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 12:42PM

Eric,

I use the 18. Will you be applying finish on this dryer as well?

The unit itself is built well. The V supports are sturdy and feel planted on a table top. There is a felt clip V (where blank touches) that detaches from the support making the stand easy to clean. Motor life is anyones guess but I leave this one on overnight often and its always turning the next morning and the motor isnt too hot. I'm not an electrician so that may not mean anything as far as these motors go. haha

The 18 is noticeably faster than what I was working with before (~6) but if you like applying with speed its still on the slow side of things.

I was pretty happy when I received it. The quality is there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 12:45PM by Adam Curtis.

Posted by: eric zamora (166.108.251.---)
Date: January 24, 2014 07:26PM

thanks adam! yes, i will be applying finish on the dryer. and i find applying with my current dryer's speed (6rm) too slow for me.

i'm simply THAT. GOOD. (joking)

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster