I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does the weight saved by using permagloss on guide windings really affect how the rod feels?
Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 07:46PM

People talk about how much weight is saved over epoxy, but how much are we talking about, and does it matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does the weight saved by using permagloss on guide windings really affect how the rod feels?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2014 07:52PM

That depends on how much epoxy you're talking about using. It is possible to apply epoxy very thinly, in which case you're saving a practical amount. But a high build type epoxy may indeed be enough to tell the difference between a couple or three coats of PG. Then, you have to consider the type of rod - light spinning rod or offshore trolling rod?

Re: Does the weight saved by using permagloss on guide windings really affect how the rod feels?
Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 08:16PM

I'm new to this game and plan to do some L to ML micro guide spinning rods. The ones for me, I want to build super light and spartan, but I would like to do a fancier ML one as a present for my fathers 75th birthday. I was wondering how much difference things like hi builds and such would make.

Date: January 17, 2014 08:18PM

On very light rods the difference could be enough to actually feel and notice in practical use.

Do keep in mind, however, that an ounce of PG weighs the same as an ounce of epoxy. So if you use 7 or 8 coats of PG versus a regular coat of epoxy, you may not be able to tell any difference.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 11:24PM

Tony,
Like Tom says re amount of epoxy applied.

My opinion more weight can be saved by proper guide choice.
I only build fly rods and I am very sensitive to weight - especially in the tip area. I have used PG on many rods in the past . But no longer. I ended up refinishing with thread epoxy for various reasons.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 01:07AM

I you want to save weight think of the thread size too (thinner thread mean less epoxy to saturate them).

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 07:31AM

Eric,
Very good point, I forgot to mention it. I try to use "00" thread on my running guides - especially in the tip area. But "00" no longer available except in silk. But I would go to "A" for any wrap over "D". BTW - you are not compromising strength. More wraps of a thinner thread is just as strong .
Herb

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 08:54AM

I really don't think you can tell the differance between 1 coat or 3 coats in weight once you at that thing called a reel.....

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:00AM

I think it's like talking the difference in weight between 1 feather and 2. I think you'd have to put a ton of finish on to notice a difference.
Just my opinion.

Date: January 18, 2014 02:50PM

It's a matter of where you put that little bit of extra weight. Most people can easily discern the difference between a naked rod blank and the same blank with nothing more than a tiptop glued on. But that little bit of weight is out on the very tip end. The further from your hand that the weight is added, the less it takes practically affect rod speed and response.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 02:22AM

On very Lightweight rods (UL Rods and Light Line fly rods) of course you feel the difference between Light and heavy guide coating.
Especially in term of recovery speed.

Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 10:16AM

did'nt somebody just permagloss guides on without any thread at all. where can i get some 00 thread?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster