I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides and Double Stick Tape?
Posted by: Ron Jansen (---.br1.nwr.wi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 05:29PM

I'm fairly new to rod building and have experimented with different ways to attach spinning rod guides - especially those pesky small ones. I've tried using thin strips of masking tape, glue, small wire ties etc. I stumbled across a new way for me and that is to use a small strip of 3M's doube-stick tape to hold the guide on while wrapping. I also use a small strip of tape down the top of the foot making sure it is covering the toe. Makes wrapping over the foot and up the guide go much easier. Any others tried this? Any unforseen problems with it? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides and Double Stick Tape?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 05:48PM

Are you saying that you wrap over the tape and leave it in place?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 06:26PM

Ron, try using elastic thread, available at any sewing supply store. Stretch the thread, take three or four turns around the blank and guide foot, tie a square knot under tension, and trim the thread ends short. The elastic thread will hold your guide firmly in place yet it will allow you to re-position the guide, and it won't leave any sticky adhesive on the rod blank. When you have wound your wrapping thread far enough up the guide foot to secure it just touch the elastic thread with a double-edged razor blade and the thread will literally jump out of your way, allowing you to complete wrapping the guide foot with a minimum of interruption and fuss. I built my first rod over 55 years ago and I have yet to find a more user-friendly method.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 17, 2014 06:33PM

Phil,
That is a great idea. I use that thread to hold bait on the hook when I am surf fishing. I just never thought of using it to hold a guide in place. Thanks for the idea.
Mike Blomme

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (198.45.166.---)
Date: January 17, 2014 06:38PM

Elastic thread is the deal....used it for years.

Eddie Hinote
Guntersville, Al.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 07:57PM

I'm a guidefoot glue guy and have found that method works the best for me. The stretch thread option is nice because you can align before wrapping if you want. Nice touch.

Terry

Posted by: Chad Hefflinger (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 08:09PM

Elastic thread here also $0.98 at Wal-Mart, I just did a rod with the "nano micro" #1 size guides and the elastic thread was a lifesaver. I normally use sliced up surgical tubing as rubber bands but I couldn't cut them small enough for these microscopic guides. A toothpick worked really well to place and move the guides, the id of the guide locked up on the taper of the toothpick firmly and could be easily placed under the elastic and adjusted as needed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 09:10PM

Ron,
Tiny elastics that are normally used for dental and similar work do a very good job to attach guides with few or no issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Ron Jansen (---.br1.nwr.wi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 09:44PM

Thanks for the tip on elastic thread. I'll give it a try. I will continue to use a narrow strip of 3M tape down the top and just over the foot. That does work and eliminates the need to file down the "toe".

Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 08:52AM

Phil, Thanks for the info on elastic thread. I normally use elastic bands but will go by Walmart today.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.83.---)
Date: January 18, 2014 10:12AM

The problem with any closed elastic is that getting the right size and getting them into postion on blank in the large diameter areas, especially if you have already finished the grip, is very difficult. The elastic thread can be used on any guide even though it may be in the middle of a string of guides, like on a repair.

I'm not sure I would endorse double sided tape on top of the foot. It will prevent packing of the thread, which at some time or other, you are going to want to do. If you prep the foot with a Dremel tool or some other way to sharpen the end of the foot, use the elastic thread to hold it, and possibly tip the foot down by inserting some small thing under the eye of the guide, you should get a good, easy climb of the foot without the tape. I suspect that part of your problem with climbing the foot is that the foot is spaced off the blank by the tape under it. I'm also not sure what effect the tape may have on the thread appearance, or interaction with CP. Just my opinion- you may have a great strategy that will be proven in time.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 10:39AM

Yes, Michael beat me to it. I wouldn't recommend using tape on top of the guide foot in lieu of proper prepping of the guide foot. It's highly desirable to have a smooth top of the guide foot for best thread packing and positioning the guide for alignment. Just my opinion here but If you are using it to help the thread climb the guide foot, then there are other solutions to that problem.

Terry

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 11:16AM

i've started wrapping the micros and some none micros down instead of up. do your blocking wraps, your twist to hold the guide, wrap down the foot and tie off. you can do this on any guide but the flatter the foot like with micros, the easier it is.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 12:19PM

Phil,
Has the ticket. The elastic thread from the sewing stores will last quie a long time and it's pretty cheap. I just use a clove hitch in lieu of a square knot, but it really makes no difference what knot you use. I reuse mine so I don't cut them. A flick between the clove-hitch 'cross' and it drops away.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 02:29PM

just like the Elastic thread i use rubber bands Thin

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: michael evans (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 11:23PM

I use 1/16 or maybe its 1/8 green tape that can be found at specialty auto paint places, seems to work good and if I really needed it any smaller I could easily cut it in half with my knife.

Posted by: Chris Ballard (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 23, 2014 03:59PM

glad I found this thread, great options, thanks to all for the ideas. I think I'll try the elastic thread out..

Posted by: Terry mason (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 09:39PM

I use mini cable ties for micro guide placement , it's easy to adjust your guides to their proper location. You can wrap up to your cable tie then simply cut off the cable tie and finish your wrap. You can get them from Swampland tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster