I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread quality
Posted by: Craig Lund (24.9.115.---)
Date: January 17, 2014 11:50AM

New to forum and built a couple of fly rod, I would like to better understand the different qualities of threads and how crucial the thread quality is to the finished rod. Any specific recommendations on actual threads would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread quality
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: January 17, 2014 12:27PM

Hi Craig,

If you send me an email I can send you some information on threads that was sent to me by another member of this site, if you don't want to post your email address then go to my profile and you will find my email address there,

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2014 12:56PM

Any nylon thread marketed for rod building use is going to be of good quality. I'd stick with these nylons, rather than using the various rayons, cottons, etc., that you find in your local fabric shop.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 06:31PM

Note Tom said "marketed for rod building use." General purpose threads are often treated with silicone or other chemicals which will make your epoxy finish look like a dog's breakfast. Rod building is labor intensive. Saving six or eight bits on thread will make building your rod Much More labor intensive.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:34AM

Craig Lund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to better understand the different
> qualities of threads and how crucial the thread
> quality is to the finished rod.

Consistency of color
Some size D nylon that I purchased displayed bands of color after being wrapped onto a blank. Unfortunately we were not wanting this feature. This was caused by the dying process. The thread was returned to the US manufacturer to be dyed to black.
I have received garnet thread that was from two different dye lots. It would hard to say that they were the same color. Two 4 ounce spools went into the trash.

Frayed thread
Thread used for clothing and sewing does not meet the same standards as rod wrapping thread. The ceramic guides used to guide thread onto spools may have rough edges. Although these ceramic guides may be suitable for clothing, they must be replaced for use with rod wrapping thread. Dealing with frayed thread is doable, but it is not desirable.

Turns or twists per inch
Amount of turns required per thread size to keep the thread tight

Ply
Usually 3 ply. 2 ply will open and let what is below show through.

Bonded, Soft
Soft = bare with no additives
Bonded = plies joined either by chemicals or coatings such as wax

Size
Usually expressed in the following: A, B, C, D, E, EE
A fly, bass, inshore rods
B not often used
C light surf
D heavy surf, trolling
E, EE trolling, outriggers

Of course, every builder will choose according to their needs. This could even include vision or lighting issues.

Thread stretch
This is probably more selective to the individual. I know what I like and the folks in my area prefer.

Silicone oil
Used to minimize friction when thread is passing through a needle. It repells epoxy. Silicone oil may be dispersed into the air by machines processing thread for sewing. If non silicone thread is processed in this environment it can pick up contamination.

I'm not sure as to what I may have left out. It's getting late.

I have tried to list the general characteristics of thread and give some indication as to the qualities associated with the characteristics.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: January 18, 2014 06:31AM

Great post Don. Very informative!

Date: January 18, 2014 09:56AM

Chris - thanks for the offer to help - you can email me at gfish610@gmail.com

Date: January 18, 2014 09:56AM

Chris - thanks for the offer to help - you can email me at gfish610@gmail.com

Date: January 19, 2014 11:21AM

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the education, very informative.

Date: January 19, 2014 11:26AM

Thanks Phil - not necessarily looking to save money, I am more interested in building the best quality rods I can - the thread expense is pretty small in the overall picture. I've used the Fishhawk Nylon A thread to this point - just wanted to know if there was something better and if there is - what makes it better.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 12:26PM

I'd be very happy using nothing but old Gudebrod. Some may say, "what is the point in mentioning something the new guy can't buy at the store". Well, I think is worth getting some at an @#$%& site to establish a baseline.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 05:10PM

Craig Lund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Phil - not necessarily looking to save
> money, I am more interested in building the best
> quality rods I can - the thread expense is pretty
> small in the overall picture. I've used the
> Fishhawk Nylon A thread to this point - just
> wanted to know if there was something better and
> if there is - what makes it better.

Craig,
I'm a novice and started with ProWrap which has been very user-friendly as a beginner with entry-level skills. But I needed a light tan which ProWrap doesn't have so I got a spool of FishHawk just recently to try out. I found the Fishhawk to be difficult to use. It breaks easily and frays a LOT. When I put color preserver on it was full of bumps from the frays. Maybe one spool isn't a good sample size for an evaluation, but I was surprised at the difference in use-ability and was wondering if that's common. I put in an order for a spool of Pac Bay tan thread (amongst other stuff) to see how that behaves.
I guess when you have questions about what works better, just get some samples and try for yourself. Half the fun is in the experimenting.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 06:54PM

You will have to LEARN how to use the new threads - Because they are able to get Quickly

I don't like Cabelvision ---- but i HAVE to live with it -- Or no TV

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster