I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Senko Rod
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.nwnn.ga.charter.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 02:44PM

Good Afternoon,

I have a friend looking for a 7 1/2 foot Medium Heavy rod for throwing Senkos for largemouth bass. The rod is to be a baitcaster.

He lives on Lake Guntersville, AL, which is a very weedy lake. The fish are usually around the grass.

My experience with Senkos is that you need a flexible tip end with a lot of midsection and backbone. They are usually thrown weightless., so you have only the weight of the bait and hook.

In looking at blanks to use,I saw that both MHX and Batson have 7 1/2 foot Popping blanks that are rated 1/4 to 1/2 oz or 1/4 to 5/8 oz, which is in the weight range.

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts or has used a popping rod for this technique?

Would anyone have any other advice or recommendations?

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Senko Rod
Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 02:53PM

Not for the grass on Guntersville. A rigged senko weighs .4 oz (and more if he's using a superline hook) so that's more than enough weight to have good casts with a rod blank better suited for grass mats. As long as he has a smooth spool and doesn't load up on the reel brakes, he'll be ok.

When he gets a donkey tied up in 10# of grass, he's going to wish he had a Hydra FL904. And I'd recommend braid as well!

[hydrafishing.com]

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 06:35PM

Another one not to forget is the Bushido CB78/10-20. Great back bone for fighting and sensitive. MH power with a Mod Fast Action

Posted by: Jonathan Travers (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 09:36PM

I fish with the FL904 down here in florida and I throw senkos on it all the time, it has a great backbone for horsing fish out of cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 11:39AM by Jonathan Travers.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2014 10:00PM

Bert;
I've not tried Alex's FL904 blank, but he is usually pretty solid with his recommendations.

Although it's not 7'6" my personal favorite is Batson's "RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black Senko Special

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 05:49PM

Hey Bert -- Since the person is talking of tossing the Senko around grass cover, take a look at the SJ902-MHX. It has enough tip to cast the Senko with enough mid and butt power to set the hook and move the Bass from the grass. Also, if you want a bit more overall power in the tip, mid-section and the butt, go with a SJ903-MHX. Even though they are Spin Jig blanks, they build into fantastic casting rods.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.83.---)
Date: January 16, 2014 05:52PM

I think your defintion of a good Senko rod is right on, but that is not what popping rods are. Look more to the fast or extra fast actions, and find one that will load well with the weight of the Senko you plan to cast. Then you will have the perfect Senko rod.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 06:19PM

I like the Batson Revelation REVC76M-SB.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 09:48PM

I like the Batson Revelation REVC76M-SB.

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2014 08:04AM

I use a MHX-HM-MB843

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster