I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod lettering by hand with nib pens
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 07:42PM

Hello all,

I have been struggling to do some rod lettering and numbering with a pen. I dont want to use stickers, decals, or transfers. I want to use ink, then coat it with spar varnish. Glass and graphite rods.

Can anyone provide some good info on what nibs they have been happy with? Inks? Maybe a link? You tube has a fair amount of info, but nothing really on writing on a blank.

Thanks

Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod lettering by hand with nib pens
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 07:59PM

I use Speedball Acrylic Ink. It comes in a variety of colors plus silver and gold. Best part, it cleans up with water, so if you make a mistake you can wipe it off with a damp rag and start over. I use a variety of nibs by Speedball depending on the size line I want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 03:47PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 08:01PM

Jesse,
I have used both Testors model paint as well as Speedball Acrylic ink.

The ink is easier to use than the paint, but the paint works well for a bit of a richer look. The thing that you have to watch is the ability to keep the nib clean so that the paint does not clog the nib.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 08:41PM

Typically a fine or an extra fine nib seems to work the best for me. Also make sure to rough up the area prior to writing. Seems to make the ink flow better.

I can't stress enough about keeping the nib clean. Get a bottle of pen cleaner and keep it there after you wipe it off.

Speedball inks are pretty good and can be thinned with water or alcohol. I have the best luck with silver ink, then white. Black is good on light blanks. The gold ink doesn't seem to flow as well as the silver.

You can find most of this stuff at craft stores like Michaels, or any calligraphy site online.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2014 08:59PM

Dave Mayer has been doing a seminar at the ICRBE each year on the very subject you ask about. We've run an item on parts of that presentation in a recent issue of RodMaker.

Dave will be back again at the 2014 Expo with the same seminar. He's done a great deal of research and testing on various pens, nibs and inks, and if you can make it you'd probably find it invaluable.

Failing that, we plan to run more articles related to his presentation in a future issue of RodMaker.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2014 11:15PM

I learned Calligraphy just to write on Rods and Bible versus and I use a fine nib. I believe the one at Janns Netcraft is a fine tip.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Nathan Moore (---.bpssmtp.org)
Date: January 15, 2014 11:57AM

All I managed to do was scratch my blank with a nib pen and the ink didnt seem to flow even on paper....sorry to hijack but ANY help would be appreciated here/

Date: January 15, 2014 12:06PM

Before you start lettering on a blank, practice on lettering on a piece of paper.

With a nib and pen, you do not need a heavy touch. Normally, just touch the paper and the ink will flow nicely if the nib is in good shape and the groove is not clogged. You need to learn the angle and touch to have the ink flowing nicely.

As has been mentioned before, the nib must be kept clean to allow the ink to flow nicely. Also, the ink or paint needs to be the right thickness to have nice flowing lines.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 15, 2014 12:10PM

Nathan, it sounds like you are working on a smooth unscuffed surface. Try scuffing the area to the point the high sheen is removed, then gently apply the ink/paint to the scuffed surface. It should flow out the nib and fill the tiny scratches you created by scuffing. You should not be pressing hard enough to scratch the surface with the nib. If it takes that much pressure to get it to flow on a scuffed surface, there could be problems with the nib, or the consistency of the medium you are trying to apply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 12:11PM by John E Powell.

Date: January 15, 2014 12:40PM

Nathan what you need to do is rub the nib on a piece of wood until it smooths the tip.

Lone Wolf Rods
God Bless

Date: January 15, 2014 12:47PM

Forrest,
I like that idea.
Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 05:47PM

If I remember right I think Mud Hole and Flex Coat have vidios on wrighting on blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 15, 2014 10:59PM

They do but any need should be prepped to get them to write correct and learning Calligraphy helps to give that little extra.

Lone Wolf Rods
God Bless

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 07:46PM

Thanks for the notes, I will update you with my results after some practice.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:27PM

I have used a heat pen and metallic transfer sheets for years and have had good results. I got it from Dale Clemens. I don't know if they are available anymore. Many different colors of the metallic mylar I guess it is. I haven't run out of it yet.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.83.---)
Date: January 18, 2014 08:16PM

Nathan, your problem is one I've encountered too, especially when trying to write on epoxy, which is much softer than the blank itself. What I did was to burnish the nib on very fine sandpaper until it moved freely across an epoxied surface. You can practice on cheap ball point pens, and if you immediately wipe it off you can do it as many times as you need to to get it right. Practice on paper helps work out the spacing and you can hold the practice paper under the blank when writing on the blank. If you have a long piece of wood with a groove in it that almost "submerges" the rod in the wood, try that and you'll find it much easier to write well than if the blank is just lying on your bench.

I use india ink on blanks where the colors I have will work, and I like it. It flows well and gives the fine line I want, but it won't always wet the blank surface if the surface is really smooth and shiny - then I have to rough it up a little as has already been suggested.

Then you get to the issue of covering your work with epoxy. Some inks/paints will smudge with epoxy, some with CP, some not at all. You will have to experiment on one of your practice ball point pens before actually doing anything on the blank. My india ink will take epoxy directly but will smudge with CP. I've had other "inks" that would smudge with epoxy and I had to use CP on them before the epoxy.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 05:41PM

Jesse,
I'm trying the figure out a good way that works for me also, experimenting with several recommendations I've found while searching. What's working best so far is using a Speedball 107 nib with testors enamel gold and silver paint. Speedball 102 nib was recommended but that's soft and flexible and grabs the blanks. The 107 is stiffer and floats on the blank with just a light touch and gives thinner lines - FOR ME (you may find the opposite). The speedball acrylic ink didn't flow well for me but the testors works real smooth. I cleanup the nib and paint with lacquer thinner, which removes even dried paint. So I keep practicing, wiping the blank clean, practice again, ...

My challenge now is how to write neatly on small diameter (light to medium panfish and bass) rods. I lay the rod in the V of my butt wrap jig which helps but my writing is just not neat. So I keep practicing. Next I'll try writing on some decal paper to see if I can write better flat and make a decal.

Oh, Another experiment I'm doing is to write a bunch of words on a junk rod. Then I'll cover 1/3 the words with CP, 1/3 with Krylon Fixative, and nothing on the other 1/3. Then I'll apply FlexCoat over the whole thing. That will tell me what works best to avoid smearing.

Half the fun is experimenting, right??

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster