I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CPW vs pac bay machine
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-252-80.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2014 01:58PM

I have been reading prior posts on this topic and still am undecided on "upgrading" to a custom power wrap machine. I have the standard pac bay power wrapper I bought 6 years ago. I am in the process of upgrading the chuck and the foot petal. The only two problems I have had is with the machine is with the chuck and the foot petal. The chuck doesn't hold the blanks in even when wrapping not just turning cork. The foot petal is unresponsive. That being said what would the benefit be in getting a CPW as opposed to the pac bay with these upgrades? I have read a lot of posts that are vague and don't really explain the difference. Thanks guys this is a potentially big purchase so I'd really like to get a better idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CPW vs pac bay machine
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 02:35PM

For a really great chuck, you might check out the "Taig" chucks.

These chucks use a 3/4 X 16 thread, so you need a shaft with that thread size to handle the chuck.

You can also purchase the Taig head stock which is designed to handle the chuck. Then mount the necessary pulley, mount the head stock at the correct elevation and you will be good to go.

Much less expensive solution than buying a different wrapper.

[www.taigtools.com]

part "1050" for the chuck.

[www.super-tech.com]

Part 100-00L for head stock.

Part "1050" for the chuck.

p.s. The taig chuck is essentially identical to the chuck that is used on the Renzetti power wrapper.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2014 02:58PM

It's more than "essentially" identical - it is identical. The Renzetti unit uses the Taig chuck.

You might also check with Pacific Bay to see what upgrades they offer for the machine you have now.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 04:45PM

The CPW uses a Taig chuck and headstock, and you can change speeds by moving the belt on the pullies on the head stock. The thread carriage, etc. from your Pac Bay or Batson will work on it.
Much easier to transport than a Renzetti, if the need arises.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 04:48PM

You may want to see the ALPS upgrade. Haven't personally used it but I hear it is pretty good. Will fit on the pac bay if it is the one on the extruded aluminum .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 05:52PM

The only difference between the CPW extruded bed and the Batson/Pac Bay beds is the color, mine are gold vs silver. The Alps headstock looks similar to the Taig in size, etc. The CPW also has some additional accessories, reaally like the Susan to hold my tools, etc. Has a magnet to anchor your razor blade to the carriage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster