I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a 2pc equivalent to a mhx-sj841
Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 01:51PM

1/16-5/16, fast, light. I'm looking for a 2pc because I usually travel in a small car and this rod is going to be for wade fishing for smallies in relatively remote rivers with some off trail hiking required. I'm looking for a light action because most of the fish are 12" to 14", but I would like a stouter butt for the ocassional 17"-18". 7' is my target length because long casts are usually required due to ultra clear water and river width.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a 2pc equivalent to a mhx-sj841
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 02:56PM

Might be something in the St Croix catalog, they seem to do the most 2 piece fast action blanks.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2014 04:45PM

How about the S842-2-MHX ? meets your lure weights and two piece. Not quite as stout in the butt, but I think you will be happy with it. I have built quite a few on this blank.

Or the ATC 3pc Travel blank... .502 butt AT841-3

Date: January 11, 2014 10:20PM

Don Morse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about the S842-2-MHX ? meets your lure weights
> and two piece. Not quite as stout in the butt, but
> I think you will be happy with it. I have built
> quite a few on this blank.
>
> Or the ATC 3pc Travel blank... .502 butt AT841-3

What a coincdence. My father gave me a S842-2-MHX for x-mass thinking it would meet my needs. I haven't done anything with it yet, but it didn't seem stout enough to be anything more than a solid trout rod. What are you or your custies using the S842-2 for? Thanks for the heads up on the ATC blank.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 12, 2014 06:51AM

I have built the 842 as an "all-around" panfish rod with that has no problem with the occasional largemouth, catfish, carp, etc.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 08:49AM

I fish river and stream smallies almost exclusively. I have the mhx sj781 and the s782, both 1 pc, so keep that in mind. The 1 power spin jig and 2 power spinning are NOT in the same ballpark, not even the same sport. The SJ781 has much more power, it's one of my go to smallie rods and has handled river smallies up to 20" 4+lbs in current . Even landed a handful of 25-30" stripers with it. The S782 is a trout/panfish rod IMHO and never comes to the bigger rivers with me, it just won't handle big smallies in current.

A couple options,

as mentioned, St Croix has tons of 2 pc blanks....the 70MLF2 spinning blanks would be similar, the light power croixs are more like the mhx 2 power spinning blanks ... more $$ though

MHX popping blank P842-2 might be worth a look but i never handled one so it;s just a guess based on specs

MHX SJ9000-2 cut down to 7' , I'd probably go this route

Make a MHX SJ841 a 2 piece

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2014 12:47PM

The Batson IP841 is similar to the Mudhole rod but I'm not sure they have it in 2 pc. I've built several IP841 one pc and they are fine. You may also look at the St. Croix 3S70 series. I am almost certain they come in two pc.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.pppoe.wall.pub.gwtc.net)
Date: January 14, 2014 12:08AM

I have a 782-2, use it for walleye and crappie, but it's taken its share of pike, too. You have to be careful and take your time, but it will hold up...you just can't horse it. That said, the MHX 9000's sound like a better choice.

Scott Nordlund
Hartford. SD

Date: January 17, 2014 07:29PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go with the sj9000 cutdown. That never crossed my mind. It will have to go into the que. I'm a newbie who has not built his first rod yet, but who now has five in the planning stage.Sounds like it's time to get off the pot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster