I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Course - Suggestions?
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 01:24PM

Hi fellas!

Most likely I'll be doing a beginners rod building course for 20-30 boy scout members in the next month or so. What started out as me building a rod in front of them turned into 20-30 eager kids wanting to build their own. They have a fishing trip planned later in the year so I think that made them want to make their own.

There will be 2-3 instructional meetings hosted by myself and then they will work with some of the fathers in the troop who have woodworking skills in between those meetings. I may support the course with videos detailing each part of the build.

Any of you guys who have hosted courses have any suggestions on things to look out for? Things to make sure I do? Or any general feedback? -

Going to be quite the deal purchasing 20-30 rod wrappers and rod kits all at once. Yikes! Still kicking around what wrappers would be best for them.....trying to keep costs down but also make sure they use quality stuff.

Thanks for your time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Course - Suggestions?
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2014 02:15PM

Mud Hole has a program for schools...
[www.mudhole.com]
Start here and read the Syllabus and Study Guide.

Date: January 09, 2014 02:17PM

Already contacted them. No response.

Looking for suggestions on the course itself, do's and dont's. Have you done one?

The materials will get worked out.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 09, 2014 02:29PM

I did this with a smaller group of Scouts(8). we didn't have the funds for the expense of wrappers so we went "Scout improvised". and used the box, phone book and glass to hold thread method. I'm sure 90% of us started that way. we also used Perma gloss as a wrap finish since the set up time was quicker and it was more forgiving than an epoxy. we spent a couple of hours going over the basics and then did more instruction right before they started a process like wrapping, grips, or finishing.
don't get too detailed. give them the basics.
do not expect perfection but be surprised at what they will do.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2014 02:35PM

You could have them make their own wrappers as part of the project. A few 1x4s, some wood screws and some sticky backed felt and you have a hand wrapper. Thread tension can be through a phone book (as mentioned above)

The hand wrapper can also serve as a dryer - Manually turn the rod every few minutes as the finish sags.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 03:06PM

If you have them working on different parts of the rod building process at different times you wont have to have a wrapping station for each scout. Divide them up into groups of 4 or 5, and put them to work on different projects.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 03:11PM

Adam; First off, if there are those with the wood working skills, you might see if they could make the rod wrappers. My suggestion to you, is that you make sure you have adequate light and space. Thread work is difficult in the dark. Overhead lights in a meeting hall aren't enough. So try out the classroom lighting ahead of time. Then, don't try to teach anything you haven't done a number of times yourself in the same way you intend to present it in the classroom. For example, gluing up grips in your shop is one thing but demonstrating it and having 30 kids trying it for the first time, is quite another. Keep in mind the student is looking at you from the other side and your right is his left. It will make a difference when you demonstrate how to wrap a guide. You might keep in mind, your students may have a much shorter attention span than the adults, so small steps are better than too much too fast. Keep it simple and if they are all building the same rod, all the better. That will make guide spacing, stress testing and the explanations easier. Lay out the rod and all of the measurements ahead of time. Have other adults there to assist and help the needy, if they are rod builders, so much the better. 30 is a rather large class for hands on teaching without some help. Make yourself an outline for each session, allow enough time to complete each task, and follow the outline.

Date: January 09, 2014 03:31PM

Very much appreciate the feedback. I was reluctant to post about it but sure glad I did. Some things I definitely didnt consider.....

Told them about the "oldschool" way of wrapping with a box etc. They havent made a decision on it yet. I'd love it if a parent could kick out a bunch of hand wrappers for them. That would be a lot cooler than what I had in mind plus keep costs down, which is one of the main motivators.

Love the feedback about keeping it simple, sticking to basics, lighting, laying out everything prior. The suggestion about perma-gloss. Awesome!

Randolph, I proposed something like that to them but was countered with each kid wanting to make their own. I think the scout leader wants them to have ........ homework......

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2014 03:49PM

If you follow my link to Mud Hole there is a 10 step program layer out for you
If you take the time to read it, everything is laid out for you.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 04:52PM

First I want to thank you for undertaking white a task. It is important that younger people learn rod building. It's funny that one person from this class could be a world class builder-never know.

Thanks again-many great ideas above
Bill

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 08:36PM

I have done quite a bit of rod building instruction, but never with a class size of 30! You are going to need lots of help!!! When questions start arising, and there will be many, you will find it very difficult to cover that many students.

There are many "handouts" that you might use to help explain the various parts of the rod building process. I have prepared a booklet that we give our students, if you email me your address, I will mail you one. You should find some handouts in it which you can use.

Your email is "hidden."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 08:38PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:06AM

Adam, this sounds like an excellent learning situation for your scouts. Lots of decision making for your SPL and the Patrol Leader's Council. The very best to you from an old Woodbadge Scoutmaster.
Bill

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:11AM

Adam,
I think the "no response" from Mud Hole was a communication mess up. Our high school rod building classes have been using Mud Hole for years for parts and information and they were always more than helpful. The step by step DVDs that they include with rod kit orders are very helpful both to the instructors and students as well.

I have experience in helping to teach large groups of adults (50) in two day classes and have experience in being lead instructor for groups of teens (25) for multiple session classes. I really like the previous post about proper work area and lighting. That can not be overstated. With students of this age you really need to give them the best chance to succeed given their limited attention span.

I understand the need to save money and use home made products if possible but I draw the line at wrapping jigs and dryers. Spend the money to buy a couple of quality wrappers and a dryer or two. With a group of 20-30 boys you have 20-30 different skill levels. Some may do fine with home made jigs but others will shut down if they are having difficulty. Mud Hole has a new hand wrapper for about $40.00 that is VERY nice especially for the beginner. 2 or 3 of those and a dryer or two and you are set. You can demonstrate wrapping one night. Have each scout practice a guide or two that night on your purchased wrappers to get the technique down and then send the wrappers home with the scouts for X number of nights each so they can wrap them at home.
it works, Ive done it for year. Go to your local sportsman clubs and tell them of your project and your budget. You should have no problem getting the money for wrappers and dryers. Please contact me direct if you need help with ANY tips or tricks for teaching large numbers of youth rod building. I will be happy to help you every step of the way.
Buzz Butters

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:38AM

Adam,
I'm not certain who you contacted. But you were sent a DVD from an inquiry. I would be happy to send you a copy of our program and pricing for this class. Just contact me directly.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: January 10, 2014 12:47PM

So many great tips and suggestions. Really appreciative of you guys taking the time to post which no doubt is 100% to benefit the kids.

Thank you!

Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 09:37PM

Adam, I have a wooden wrapper I purchased from @#$%&. It didn't fit my needs so I upgraded. Where are you located. This would be fine for freshwater rods but I am wrapping saltwater rods with a bunch of base wraps. Tell me where you are, and it's yours. I guess there is some for of PM on this site.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 11:39PM

but out the word you could get some help from the forum if there are some people that live near you it won't hurt give it a try the people here do lots of good things I have been told
give out the part of the country you are in it might work SId

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2014 10:01AM

Yes, having one or two additional builders there would really help with the "hands on" aspect of the course. You're going to find it hard to offer much individual help with 20 to 30 kids. I've found that about 6 to 8 is the maximum that one instructor can help once you get to the actual construction and wrapping steps.

Date: January 16, 2014 12:51PM

Im not too concerned about the no response. I sent the initial email back on the 30th of Dec. If a DVD has been sent it hasnt arrived as of the 16th/Jan nor was I told about it going out - fyi.

My email was just like my post here.

I know you guys are busy. No worries at all.

Jon, thanks for the offer!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster