I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double foot guide ?
Posted by: Charles Hall (---.buckeyecom.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 11:39PM

Hello all, I am in the middle of my first build and I'm using "double foot" Fuji SVLG guides on a 7' H spinning rod. My question is when I "finish" these guides should I epoxy just the wraps (leaving in between unfinished) or epoxy from wrap to wrap also covering the space between the wraps ? Is this just personal preference ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double foot guide ?
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 01:51AM

Hi buddy,
I have built a few now and have done both. I tend to cover the middle but that's because I think it looks better.
If there is no underwrap I don't think its necessary.
It is easier to leave the middle blank.
I think its just personal preference .
Andi

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 02:55AM

(especially If this is your first build) i would suggest just doing what i do all of the time and apply wrap finish to just the wraps and leave the middle undone. granted, i'm not familiar with ALL types of rods and wrapping procedures, but i haven't heard of anyone applying finish along the blank in-between the guide feet (except for bamboo fly rods, which often apply varnish the entire length of the finished rod).

if people do apply finish in-between the feet, i'd like to know, just to learn something new.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: January 09, 2014 03:15AM

Thanks for the replies, I was asking because I have a few store bought casting rods with double foot guides and they are finished in between the feet but the double foot spinning guides I'm using on this build are obviously much larger at least the reduction guides. Also is there a certain way to get the finish up underneath the guide foot or do you just let it flow under there as your applying finish to the wrap ?

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 03:38AM

I just kind of poke the brush in there without hitting the guide as the rod turns! If you do it and there is some without finish than it will flow together. As I say I think its ok either way I just prefer the finish that way is all!
Andi

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 08:01AM

Try using a toothpick or something like it to wick a small amount of finish into the open "tunnel" of the wrap.
We take the handle end of the finish brush and just sharpen it in a pencil sharpener.
Helps keep thread finish neat and still allow it to seal the open end.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: January 09, 2014 09:00AM

Thanks again for the input, great tips. I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 12:24PM

No reason to finish between the feet. It just adds extra weight to the rod and serves no purpose.

Be safe

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 12:38PM

With no under wrap there is no need for finish in between. Like said GeForce your just adding weight

Posted by: Andrew Bermack (74.124.49.---)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:51AM

Ron,
Can you elaborate on what you do when you say wick the finish in the guidefoot tunnel? Curious especially based on a recent problem with CP not pentrating the tunnel...

thanks.

You can't catch any fish sitting on the couch!
Houston, TX

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 09:21PM

there is space between the thread an the guide, we try to fill that space with the finish , so put a drop of finish in the holes beside the guides , tip it so it will run down into them , to fill the gap , better strength , an keep water junk out of them , so it will not rust over time , it will take a little doing to get the hang of it , every one is a little different , I do the left side of guide, after an hour or two do the right side , just wait an let the finish set uo some before you do the other end some probley don't even do that [ but I do ] clean up around the guide an then coat as normally, it just come out better I think SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 05:23PM

I usually build larger saltwater rods....I am always very careful to fill that gap as I feel it seals up the guide foot tunnel and prevents water from getting in there. I usually do underwraps as well....making it even more important for me.....on the larger rods that little bit of weight is not a concern for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster