I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is your favorite varnish?
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 08:25PM

Hello all,

I am looking to try some different varnishes on my fly rod projects. What is your favorite varnish and where is it available?

Thanks kindly,

Jesse Shipe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is your favorite varnish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2014 08:29PM

Varnish or epoxy? Or finish in general?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 08:37PM

Are you talking Bamboo? If not, varnish is not your best option!

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 10:31PM

Epiphanes is very nice on wood and i like it thin on bamboo..
Threadmaster is good on threads.
Delft is a good water based polyurethane.
PermaGloss is a great finish too.
What type of material are you trying to coat?

Date: January 06, 2014 05:55AM

I dont do bamboo, just glass or graphite rods. I am asking what is your favorite brand of varnish (not epoxy).

I am just looking to see what folks like to use and why, thats all.

I want to see what else is out there other than Helmsman Spar Varnish.

Thanks

Jesse

Date: January 06, 2014 07:58AM

Most builders do not use varnish on glass or graphite rods anymore. Epoxy is the leading type of thread wrap coating and has been for about 40 years now. There are some urethanes such as PermaGloss and LumaSeal that look a great deal like varnish but have far superior characteristics compared to varnish.

Posted by: Tim Demond (172.56.10.---)
Date: January 06, 2014 10:12AM

Does Permagloss or Lumaseal protect a naked blank? Is this what the rod manufactures use?

Date: January 06, 2014 10:24AM

They do a good job as a blank clear coating. They are similar, but not exactly the same product that manufacturers us to clear coat blanks.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 06, 2014 01:24PM

To answer the OP's question I think the best varnish is Epifanes, but as others have stated I would not use it for the intended purpose.

The best varnishes will be made from tung oil not linseed oil, have a very high solid content, and have quality UV inhibitors added. In this case, the price for quality will be high (though price, by itself, is not a good indicator of a quality varnish). There's a lot of expensive low quality varnishes out there. There are few to no industry standards when talking about commercial varnishes (and many finishes of this type in general). Marketing hype runs rampant in much of the finishing industry.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 06, 2014 01:35PM

Jesse, I do mostly bamboo and fiberglass work. I've probably tried more kinds of varnish than I can remember. everything from artists quality to no name. the top two in my book and in no particular order are.
Epifrans tough finish and this stuff is almost bullet proof. heck if you can finish a boat with it it's got to be tough. the down side is that it's costly and sometimes hard to find.
Ace Hardware green label house brand. it's a spar not a polyurethane. yep, just roll down to the hardware store and get a can off the shelf. this may take an extra coat but for what you pay and the quality it's a bargain. it is actually preferred by many bamboo rod builders including myself.
spar varnish on glass does give that classic look and if you are restoring a rod it is the correct finish. I have used more modern finished on rods but there are times when you just have to go old school. in fact I've got a 9 1/2' 8wt Orvis salmon rod that is finished with spar and that thing is still going strong after 30+ years.

Date: January 06, 2014 09:22PM

I have been pleased with the Helmsan Spar Varnish, I love the depth and translucence of the windings when I use it because if offers a look that epoxy just doesnt do for me. I am strictly an amateur at this, I have only built maybe 6 or 7 rods over the last few years. I have been striving to make them nicer, and my efforts are starting to show. Im not at the level where I would like to be, but I am enjoying this hobby immensely. Most of my rods are glass or graphite.

I have a Riffle 7'5" 3/4 waiting to be built and I just recieved my NOS Fenwick FF756 blank. I have really nice fittings for the Riffle that I bought from Phil when I got the blank, the Fen will be done in an old school kind of way. I have to plan that one out a bit.

Thanks for the info guys.

Jesse

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: January 06, 2014 10:26PM

If I were going to use a thin varnish type finish I'd use Permagloss because its so much clearer than varnish, won't yellow and is harder and longer lasting. Just my .02 worth.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2014 11:22PM

Jesse, shoot me a message. I've got a bunch of nos old school parts that could look good on that Fenwick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster