I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod action
Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 04:20AM

I not sure if it is just me but are fly rods a lot faster action than in the past?
I built a 9' 4pc.9wt last spring for a trip and a WF9F and couldn't get the rod to load.
So I took out my old 9wt put the reel on it and it was as if I cast again. I haven't cast a fly in about 10 year and at first
thought that was the problem. I put a 12wt line that I had was a little much but would load and cast it.
My love of the old glass fly rods is coming back.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod action
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2014 08:15AM

If it wouldn't load, you didn't have the right line on it for the distance you were attempting to cast.

Action is were the rod initially flexes, not how stiff or powerful it is.

From what you describe, it sounds as if your new rod was designed to cast a long length of 9-weight line, while your old one is designed to cast a shorter length of 9-weight line. Remember, the physical weight of the fly line changes as you move more or less of it past the tip of the rod.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 10:58AM

Steve,
You obviously prefer softer rods. A lot of my customers do also. Some have bought both my CTS moderate action and fast blanks and alternate use as their whims dictate.

The CTS blank is so light in the hand that those who bought one of the many #10 models have found that they do not even need a #9 or sometimes even a #8.

If you do prefer a less aggressive blank you don't have to go all the way back to fiberglass. I have some gentle tapered 10's and #9's that seem to please those like you that prefer them over faster blanks.

They may be softer - but access to their butt section is easier - and that is where the power is. So they can still sling some serious line without compromising line speed. Just need a longer stroke.

They are made with the same graphite (57 msi) so the recovery is very good. Alterations are made in taper and wall thickness.

Regards,
Herb
Distrib. CTS Fly Rod Blanks
Sponsor RodBuilding.org

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 10:58AM

Sorry for dupe post

Regards,
Herb
Distrib. CTS Fly Rod Blanks
Sponsor RodBuilding.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 11:00AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 05, 2014 06:17PM

The target species, fishing depth, wind conditions, fly size, average casting distance and proficiency of the caster all determine the fly line best suited to that caster. I believe all those criteria should be considered before the angler buys a fly line, and the angler should test that line on several rods before buying a rod. You wouldn't use a 9wt. line for brook trout or a 5wt. rod for sailfish, or over- line a rod three line weights for distance casting or underline for 30' or shorter casts. or use a type II sinking line to present dry flies. Think about what line will best serve your purpose, then find a rod which casts this line best for you yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster