I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: High Build Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2014 04:09PM

Note the next sentence - if the wrap is wide, move over a brush width and repeat. For your 1/4 inch brush, you'd have to do this 4 times.

If I were you, I'd keep a little wide brush on the bench for those wider wraps. I commonly have two in use per rod. The wider one for down low where the wraps are longer, and a more narrow one for use on the shorter wraps up near the tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2014 07:24PM

John Shear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Btw, I tried a spatula and that didn't work at
> all. I'm thinking I need to grind the rounded end
> to a more square end...
>
> John
> Chippewa Falls, WI

The only reason I could imagine why you would want to grind the end of the spatula flat is because it sounds like you want to use the spatula like a paint brush instead of what Tom described previously.

The spatula is used to deliver epoxy in close proximity to the thread. It's smooth surface allows epoxy to flow off the spatula faster than the bristles of a brush. A round or curved end on a spatula will allow the epoxy to transfer more quickly than a square end because the round end has less surface area to hold the epoxy than a square end.

Grinding the end flat will only slow the transfer of epoxy off the spatula.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 07:25PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: January 07, 2014 10:02AM

John P,
I thought a straight edge would work better because I put a glob of epoxy on with one rotation, then tried to angle it to steer the epoxy to the left and right to cover more area but the curved edge didn't work for steering. So perhaps I need to just follow previous recommendations to just let it flow and not try to steer it. As Tom just said I guess I need to move over a spatula width and repeat the application with one rotation (but not with such a big glob). A video of proper spatula technique would be helpful since I learn by seeing better than by just reading text. But I get the idea and will practice more using your guys' advice.
Thanks so much for helping me learn.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2014 12:06PM

Ralph O`Quinn used to do demos at his booth at the ICRBE using a spatula. To see him do it was worth a thousand words. There are several videos on youtube but none show the best way to do it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2014 12:28PM

I got a question

If you are having problems with HIGH BUILD
Why do you use it ???

With a faster machine you can put LIGHT BUILD on and put a heavyer coat on
Or a slower and put two coats on
It would release bubbles better Stay wetter longer to flow better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 07, 2014 03:41PM

I agree Bill. I'm a hobby builder so I'm not working with it daily like you pros, but I have done a lot of test wraps with the different types of finish epoxy. I know this is a very personal thing to rod builders. I've settled on ProKote which I see as a "Medium Build". It's got at least 20 minutes of working time and with a little heat can be pushed to 30 minutes if you have to. Like Tom says you shouldn't be taking that long. It levels nicely and I never have bubbles in the finished wrap. I do use a product called Bubble Buster which briefly reduces the surface tension on the epoxy and releases some of the bubbles that maybe in there after the mix. It doesn't have any effect on the finished product. The instructions say to do it after it is applied to the rod, but I give it one squirt in the foil pan before I apply to the rod and that works very well.

Most of the finishes out there are good products and if you learn their idiosyncrasies and have a favorite, use it.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 03:43PM by Steve Hartzell.

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.wireless.telus.com)
Date: January 07, 2014 06:41PM

Thank u guys, I will definitely look u up and anyone else that wants to meet. Great bunch of guys

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster