I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick question - Finish Motor
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: January 03, 2014 10:38AM

Hi All

I am in the process of converting a sewing machine motor and was wondering if you can use a light dimmer to control the speed of the Motor? Eliminate the foot pedal all together.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick question - Finish Motor
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 02:07PM

Sure.

But it is pretty hard to get a sewing machine motor to run slow enough to be a good reliable finish motor. Unless you go through a significant gear or belt reduction. The typical sewing machine motor runs at about 6,000 rpm. The typical finish motor runs at 6 rpm. So you need a 1000:1 speed reduction for a reliable motor.
You are better off in getting a fixed rpm, slower running motor like 5-10 rpm on either ac or dc voltage.

In recent years, I have been using 12 or 24 volt DC gear motors that have a shaft speed of 5-10 rpm at their rated 12 or 24 volts dc drive voltage. It is easy to get small plug in dc supplies to supply the 12 or 24 volts of dc voltage.

Be safe

Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 03, 2014 05:10PM

I would think it would if it was rated heavy enough. That would be a question for a electrition . If it does post it as I am working on a wrapper for another type of project and would love to use a dimmer switch. I just bought a sewing machine at a second hand shop for $6.00 and the motor and foot control work fine. In its slowest speed it goes very slow, maybe not 6 RPM but slow. I need mine to be variable speed but if you just wanted 1 speed an electrition should be able to tell you how to make a resistor for a slow speed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 06:05PM

Contact Roger Wilson he can answer you questions he builds them

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 03, 2014 09:26PM

Hi Roger/Daniel,

Sorry I used the wrong term, I am not using it as a finish motor but rather a wrapper. I have a BBQ motor I use now and it runs at 4 rpm. Its great as a dryer but its to slow for putting epoxy on the wraps/decals. I wanted something to run around 25rpm.

Now, I hooked up a regular dimmer switch. Its runs the motor but there is a problem. When the motor is running at the lower rpm's it has no power! I can easily stop it with my fingers. And not to mention the loud humming coming from the motor. It doesn't sound good. So I don't think the dimmer switch is going to work.

I think I am going to just find a motor that runs at the rpm I need taking rogers advice.

Daniel if you find some way to make it work please let me know.

Thanks

Date: January 03, 2014 09:45PM

Chris,
I suspect that the motor that you are trying to control is an induction motor, rather than a brush style universal motor.

A universal motor can be easily regulated with a resistor or an electronic controller.

However, the speed of an induction motor is set by the frequency of the voltage and the number of poles in the motor. So, basically for practical purposes it is not easy to regulate.

However, you can take a dc gear motor, and vary the voltage to the dc gear motor and easily regulate the speed of the motor very well.

For a finish application motor, you can simply obtain a variable voltage power supply and then vary the voltage as needed to get the speed that you want.

For example, if you use a 12 volt motor, just get a 0-12 volt dc power supply and as you need to change the speed, vary the voltage.

You can put an on/off foot switch in series with the motor and power supply. Then, set the speed that you want, and use the pedal to turn the motor on and off.

Be safe

Date: January 03, 2014 10:01PM

Chris,
For example, here is a little inexpensive 24v dc gear motor that should work just fine for your finish and drying work:
[www.surpluscenter.com]

Date: January 03, 2014 10:18PM

Hi Roger

Thanks! Where do you get the couplings to extend the motor shaft?

Thanks

Date: January 03, 2014 10:33PM

Sometimes you can get them from the hardware store.
Otherwise, you can make them your self on a lathe and drill press.

Be safe

Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 06, 2014 10:45AM

I talked with a friend of mine who is an electrition in a factory. He said he could get me a potentiometer that would work. I will see him this coming weekend and see what he has and let you know.

Posted by: marc trejo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 09:04PM

Hey chris

I have a sewing machine motor and foot pedal as well. Let me know how it goes i wanna build one also can you send me some pics of your rod wrapper i wanna get some ideas if you dont mind. Marc.trejo@yahoo.com
Thanks

Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.dsl.farmtel.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 11:37AM

Chris I tried the potentiometer my friend gave me and it was to small and burnt up. So I got a light dimmer switch and tried it, it works fine. It was a light only and made for 600 watts, I got it at Menards. It is all hooked up but the problem is the motor does not want to run real slow. It stalls out. I am not sure how slow you need yours to go but for what I am doing it does not work right. I am expermenting with it but if it doesn't work I may scrap the idea as I spent 4 hours on the lathe making the shaft and adapter to make the pulley off the sewing machine work. If I could find a bigger pulley it would probably work but that would mean a lot more lathe time to adapt it.
So long story short the dimmer switch will work, just maybe not slow enough for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster