I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap suggestion
Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2014 04:23PM

In my first post here, I commented at how my base wraps were coming unwound thru contact with the felt on my cheapo wrapper. While a better wrapper is in transit, I thought about starting over with what I've done so far. Again, this is my first wrap and, of course, want it to turn out ok. Thus, I'm looking for a simple design for a total newbie.

My blank is a titanium color Batson blank. I had planned for my base wraps to be NCP garnet color A thread. My planned guide wraps are going to be simple black nylon D size thread. I have Sulky Holloshimmer silver that I want some where. Can someone suggest a simple design for a newbie?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap suggestion
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2014 05:25PM

All you have to do is keep the wraps from coming in contact with the felt V grooves or even the rollers. Position the blank so that only unwrapped areas are supported. It is that simple.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 01, 2014 05:51PM

How about a basic black base to start and then use a mettalic thread (which is stiffer) of choice as some trim bands?

And yes, just make sure on any hand wrapper you allow yourself enough room on either V support for the guides.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.40.---)
Date: January 02, 2014 06:29AM

Are you talking about a simple design for a decorative butt wrap or or a hand made rod lathe?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 02, 2014 08:51AM

Green, with red or silver trim bands has been found to match well.

In general, regular black nylon is the easiest to use (on a black blank). Very forgiving. If you use a regular nylon close to the color of the blank, with no CP, then the threads will melt into the color of the blank. If you want to preserve the color of regular thread you must use CP. NCP doesn't need CP but isn't considered to look as good.

IIRC this is a vertical jigging blank. Is it spinning or conventional? Single or double foot guides?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.23.---)
Date: January 02, 2014 09:08AM

Garnet without CP comes out looking like black cherry, and with a little silver metallic trim, looks great on the titanium blank. Black won't screw it up. I'd keep it simple rather than complex/flashy since the titanium/garnet looks so classy/elegant. Dark green without CP with light gray trim looks very classy on that blank, too. It's hard to find something that won't look good on that blank.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2014 01:18PM

If I were limited to these three threads, I'd do a Tiger-wrap with garnet and silver on the bottom, garnet on top with the larger black as the sacrificial thread.
I would complete at least one coat of finish on the second layer of this wrap before moving on to the guides, so that any dragging on the felt wasn't an issue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2014 01:28PM

get several small boxes Cut Vs in them lay the rod on the Vs But keep the thread wraps away from the Vs

Have no idea why you thought the wraps would stay together when they are RUBBING on the felt

Happy New year

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Scobey (205.232.110.---)
Date: January 02, 2014 01:53PM

Guys, thanks for the input. I'm going to keep the wrap very simple. I don't think I'm up to a tiger wrap as yet. As to the questions about my rod wrapper, I get it that I need to keep it off the felt. I learned the hard way. My new wrapper is somewhere in transit. Here is a pic of it:

this[www.fishpacbay.com]

My garnet thread is NCP. Should I get some regular nylon and not use CP? I would like the garnet to be as dark as possible.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2014 03:41PM

If you want the Garnet to be dark, get some regular nylon and do not use CP. Is this rod heavy enough to be using "D" thread?

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (203.62.205.---)
Date: January 02, 2014 07:50PM

Ok cool you just want to do a simple wrap. I suggest an open Diamond or Chevron. There's link on here on how to do one but here's a quick and rough run down.
Mark one side of your blank using a China marker starting at the end of the foregrip to just past the finish of the wrap you want to do. Up to you how long but maybe go for 5 complete patterns. I'm not sure of the blank diameter but if you went for 25 mm spacings the diamond would not be far off being square. So mark out 6 of these 25 mm spacings to be sure.
Then turn the blank 180 degrees. Mark the first spacing half that of the other side so 12.5mm. Then the rest are 25mm.
Then use the holoshimmer and wrap up and back making sure you cross these markings each time and create and X pattern. Check the alignment by looking down the blank from the butt end and adjust the crossovers if need be in case your marking were not quite straight. For a diamond finish the. Wrap with the Garnet colour at least two thread thicknesses either side of the holoshimmer. Ben change colours and wrap up and back on either side of the Garnet thread again and keep going until you are happy with want you see. The pattern will form quickly so you'll know you're on the right track.
For the Chevron you just wrap on the front side of the previous colour up and back to for an arrow head.
Both look nice and two colours are all that are needed to create a pretty cool finish.

Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 10:05PM

Guys, thanx for your input and suggestions. I really like the garnet against the titanium blank. What do you think of either Garnet NCP over garnet nylon or vice versa? I just got have enough experience to predict how the color will change on the nylon.

Posted by: Kevin Albite (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 04:48PM

Anybody know where i can find a rod skin/wrap of a peacock bass? Mudhole doesn't have it and i have been having trouble looking for it on the internet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster