I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Cork grips
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 01, 2014 01:40PM

There have been many threads about how to turn cork grips. I thought I'd post a picture of how I do I it on my rod lathe. It's not right or wrong , it's just how I do it and it works well. I don't have a wood lathe to work with.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 01:41PM by Steve Hartzell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Cork grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2014 12:15AM

Steve,
Great setup and I am sure that it works very well for you.

By the way, I used to use the very same attachment on my shop vac that you have in your picture.

However, recently, I have switched to an attachment that has a very narrow slot on the bottom. By using the narrow slotted on the bottom attachment, the air velocity is much greater and seems to do a better job of collecting more of the dust and shavings.

The attachment that I use is the one that is normally used for wet vac use.

[www.homedepot.com]

Keep up the great work .

Date: January 02, 2014 12:26AM

Thanks for the reply Rog, I've got all the attachments for the shop vac and I'll give your suggestion a try.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2014 08:41AM

IMHO
I do mine on an mandril this way if I screw up it is not glued to the blank and can be remade easily with out having to cut it off the rod
Tip
Put a rod stand about an inch or so in front of the foregrip It will help to keep the handle assembaly running true

Be careful of the tip section of the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 08:44AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 07:38AM

Steve,
Better put tape under those rollers on the stand. Also - for high RPM's much better to use large (2"-2.5") rollers.
Herb

Date: January 03, 2014 09:07AM

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions. Let me clarify how they were made.

The rear grip was turned and finished on a mandrel. The fore grip was also turned on the mandrel but finished on the lockdown nut attached to the reel seat on the rod. I had to do it that way because I needed to drill a fairly large hole in the foregrip so it would fit on the lockdown nut tube. I drilled the hole free hand with my drill press using a forstner bit. I needed to be very careful doing this for the obvious reasons. Therefore, when I had it on the mandrel, I left it bigger around than the finished product making it easier to drill the hole. Once I attached it to the tube it was screwed down tight to the reel seat and finished with the screen and sandpapers. Time turning while on the rod was minimal. It took three attempts to get it right, mainly because drilling the hole was difficult and I tore up the first two.

Herb, I usually do tape the rod when turning at higher speeds but forgot to do it in this case. I don't have any of the larger rollers.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 10:37AM

About 3 - 4 turns of 2" blue painters tape helps to keep marks from the blank If the finish is of good quality the tape should come off without taking the paint with it

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster