I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Zirconia guides for saltwater builds
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 02:33PM

I am currently building a medium heavy saltwater surf rod. Are there any real issues with zirconia ring guides for this type of build? Recently, I have come across some online references that specifically advise against using zirconia ring guides for saltwater applications. Any truth to those statements?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zirconia guides for saltwater builds
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2013 06:14PM

I was going to ask the same thing what guides are good for saltwater? I will hopefully be going Tarpon fishing. I got the rod and reel but was thinking about guides and can you use freshwater guides in saltwater? Sorry for jumping your post Roman.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 07:04PM

Basically any guide can be used for fresh or saltwater depending on the line used. If used in saltwater special attention needs to be paid to cleaning the guides immediately after use. If you don't do this, then don't expect any guide to last very long.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: December 31, 2013 07:17PM

Hi Guys,
I fish in the surf, and do inshore fishing for Salmon and Bottom Fish in the Pacific Ocean. When I built my first surf rod I used steel guides with a hard chrome plating from the Mildrum Company. I used a Tungsten Carbide ring on the tip top. After nearly forty years, I found no corrosion and the tip-top had no grooves in the ring. I also rinse, wash, rinse, and dry my rods after every usage. When I rebuilt that rod three years ago using the NGC method, I used Fuji Alconites with stainless steel frames.

Today we have a large number of guide and frame materials. Tungsten carbide and silicon carbide are the hardest. Zirconia is also very hard. Any of these rings will stand up to saltwater and modern fishing lines. I would also suggest using either a Titanium alloy or a 316 stainless steel for the frames. If you take care of your rods these guides will last a long time.

A couple of days ago there was a post on this forum and among the responses, there was a Vicker's Hardness table. You can compare the various material and make your own judgement. Four built a saltwater rod for salmon and used Zirconia rings with 316 stainless steel frames and everything is holding up very well. Good luck with your projects.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 08:15PM

No problem with the ceramic material. Don't use frames with deposition coatings, they simply don't hold up very well. Stick with high quality stainless, titanium plated or better yet ... full titanium alloy.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.40.---)
Date: January 02, 2014 06:37AM

The rings will be fine but I would suggest to also stay away from the polished Stainless frames. They will still corrode a lot more than the darker painted stainless ones. A g
ood comparison here is the Fuji BMNAG vs CMNAG. If you want a shiny frame, as mentioned above go Titanium plated like the Fuji ICMNSG or full Titanium.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster