I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie, please be patient
Posted by: Jon Scobey (205.232.110.---)
Date: December 31, 2013 02:00PM

Folks, this is my first post and I'm in the middle of my first build, and like most everyone I guess, I'm experiencing some learning moments. I started out wrapping my rod using a $30 rod wrapper. I've since ordered a Pac Bay new manual wrapper that they just released. It's upgradable to a powered unit. In fact it looks almost identical to their powered unit sans the motor.

My problem will sound very elementary to most of you. I'm doing base wraps using A thread as this will be a saltwater rod. I got the first two base wraps finished and was working on the 3rd, when I realized that the friction from the felt rod holder had caused one of my base wraps to come unraveled. I wasn't happy as it was a mess of thread. So I finished the one I was working on and went back and redid the first base wrap.

Well, I'm moving along and the same darn thing happened to another base wrap. At this point is when I ordered the new wrapper as the rod supports give more flexibility in holding the rod. But my inquiring mind still believes I'm either not using enough tension on my wraps or I'm not using enough wraps at the finish of the base wrap where I pull the thread back underneath the previous wraps.

Be gentle (lol) in your tips. I do find this new hobby therapeutic. I'm a CPA getting ready for another brutal tax season and this clears my brain at the end of a long day. Because I'll be working 10-12 hrs per day, my plan is to come home, kick the dog and then do a couple guide wraps until finished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 02:25PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie, please be patient
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 02:10PM

have you taken any rod building classes Read any books on building Or even gotten any CDs

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2013 02:21PM

Jon.
I suggest that you set your rod to where the felt is not touching your wraps.

The felt can create enough friction that no mater how tight you wrap things they can be pulled loose.
also be careful when you epoxy your threads as it creates a real mess of things when it gets on the felt. I know from personal experience.

You should be wrapping about 5 to 6 layers past where you bring your loop in, for pulling back through your tag end. More then that and many times the line will snap before it pulls through.

If you cannot adjust the rod to where it cannot avoid coming in contact with the felt. One thing that might help; is to NOT cut off your tag ends until completely wrapping the rod, then cut them all off at one time.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 02:52PM

Maybe I don't understand
Are the wraps that are done turning on the felt ?? If this is the case try to adjust so No Wrap lays on the felt ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Mayer (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 03:55PM

the above responses are great. just make sure you get it resolved before the epoxy goes on or you will have a huge problem then

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2013 04:37PM

I had the same problem before going to a power wrapper.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 04:39PM

The wraps should never contact the felt rests!

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 31, 2013 04:43PM

Hi Jon,

I just started the hobby myself. Two rods down and who knows how many more to go!? I did exactly what you did a few times in the beginning. I take it your rod holders are not adjustable? If that's the case I would think Steve's advice would be the best one. One thing you will find is this site is very friendly to helping newbies out.

Btw Bill I would love to take a class but there are non offered in my area that I am aware of. Toronto Canada.

Anyway have fun with your new found very addictive hobby! It's like building toy models all over again, but much more expensive! Lol

Happy New Year Everyone!

Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 05:25PM

My rod wrapper is a simple 2 "holer". The rod I chose to wrap was chosen because I thought it would be easier. It's a 4'10" Batson knife jig blank. But, when I static tested for location of the guides, I found it needed way more than I thought. Thus the guides are closer together that I expected and given the limitations of my wrapper, it's very difficult to keep the thread off the felt.

But, help is on the way. I ordered Pac Bays new Rodsmith RM-HW, which they claim is the best hand wrapper in the biz. I don't know if that is true, but it will be light years better than my $30 POS.

my training has come mostly from You Tube videos. Fortunately, my wife supports my new hobby, thus I see many new rods in my future.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 10:03PM

It may be difficult, but it is a MUST!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster