I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foot Pedal Help Needed
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 30, 2013 06:12PM

Hi All,

Hope you all are having a great Holiday Season!

I need help wiring a foot pedal from a vintage Sears sewing machine to the original motor. My Dad cut all the wires and delivered with the pedal with one wire coming from it, the motor with one wire coming from it and wire with the receptacle on one end. So I have three separate parts. All wires are black. No red, white....

It's a 115/125V, 50/60 Hz, 0.8Amp motor. Everything worked perfect before my Dad cut all the wires. He thought he was doing me a favour taking it out of the machine for me! Lol

I am making my own wrapper so I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foot Pedal Help Needed
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 06:35PM

Each wire has two leads. join them together so it looks like three people holding each others hands. I know this sounds stupid but…. right lead to left lead to right to left to right to left lead

I am NOT a Rocket Scientist !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 06:40PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 06:55PM

Take an extension cord with a plug on it.Cut off the outlet side of the extension cord . Splice one of the extension cord wires right to one of the motor leads..The other extension cord wire is spliced to one of the foot pedal wires.The other foot pedal wire is spliced to the other motor lead. Done

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 07:04PM

Simple answer is to ask Dad....well because they always know best....LOL!

Take a close look at the wire....you say wire but I'm thinking electrical cord which has more than one wire. See if one wire is completely smooth and one wire has "ribs/ridges" on it. On older elecrtrical cord the wire with ribs is the neutral/common and the other is the hot. You will have to look closely....so good light/magnifying glasses.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 08:40PM

you might as for some help befor you burn it up as it did work an if you hook it up improperly you will get smoke an nothing will work then , have some one local look at it a handy man that
fixes stuff [ electrical ] is your best shot good luck SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 09:04PM

All of the previous posts are correct.

You have two wires that go to your motor.

You have two wires that come out of your foot pedal.

Now imagine that you smply put a plug on the two wires that go to your foot pedal. If you did this and plugged in the motor, it would be running as fast as it could go.

So, basically, you will cut one of the wires that run between the plug and the motor. Then, as the previous posts state, hook one wire from the foot pedal to the wire that goes to the AC plug. Wire the other wire from the foot pedal to the cut wire that runs to the motor.

You baically are making a series connection of AC plug, to the variable resistor foot pedal control, to the motor. Out of the motor and back to the other AC plug.

Here is a picture of a schematic of your setup: (note - two wires to the motor, two wires to the variable resistor or foot pedal).

[www.google.com]
----------------------------
Note: These foot pedals work all right, but do not give you a great deal of super control on your motor. If you can, you are better off in getting an electronic speed control foot pedal, that replaces the built in resistor of the simple sewing machine foot pedal with a better electronic speed control.

Another thing that will help a great deal, is that you go through a couple of jack shafts to better slow down the shaft output speed.

Here is a picture, of one of the first power wrapper power heads, that use multiple pulleys, shafts and belts to better slow the motor output speed.
Normally, one only power wraps at speeds that range from 0 to about 500 or 600 rpm.

The normal wide open speed of a typical sewing machine motor is about 5000 rpm. So, it is nice if you can use about a 10:1 input to output ratio of the sewing machine motor to the output shaf that drives your power wrapper head stock:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

A different power unit that uses a double shaft arrangement to reduce the speed:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 09:22PM by roger wilson.

Date: December 31, 2013 04:21PM

Hi All

Thank so much for the help. It worked.

Roger I believe I may take your advice as it it hard to control the speed with your foot! I am only using is for my finish at the the moment. I found my finish motor (BBQ motor) to slow for finishing my wraps. I am also just starting to build a graphite grip so it will help there too.

Again thanks everyone! If it hasn't already happened for you Happy New Year!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2013 08:28PM

I have converted all my Rod dryers over to 12V DC motors using standard 12V plug in converters that come with a lot of different products. motors are easy to mount and wire and work very well

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This one is mounted directly onto my Clemens lathe,just move the belt to start dryer

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 08:34PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: January 03, 2014 10:35AM

Can a dimmer switch be used to regulate the speed of the sewing machine motor? Remove the foot pedal all together?

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster