I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

warming epoxy?
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 11:00AM

I've recently warmed some epoxy, by putting the bottles in warm water. I've noticed the epoxy has a slight grey tint to it when applyed and dryed. Could this be caused by moisture penetrating the bottle when in the warm / hot water? It's very slight. Also, I'm near the end of a spool of Pro-Wrap black thread, it may be a cp issue...? Let me know if anyone has experienced this.
Thanks,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: warming epoxy?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 11:46AM

As long as the cap was tight, it is not likely that any water penetrated into the bottle.

Next time, open the bottle cap a bit and put the bottle into the microwave for a few seconds. Normally, you can warm a bottle in the microwave in 2-4 seconds.

Be safe

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 04:14PM

Try this:

With the cap on tight put the cap end in to you'r rod dryer , set roller brace on the bottom end of the bottle , turn on Take your hair drier set to low, warm bottle as it turns , untill it gets clear it takes me about5 or10mins.
Richard

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 04:22PM

If mine is cold I put it in my pocket for a few minutes and works great.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 05:14PM

I use large bottles of epoxy so I can't fit them in my pocket. I just bought two candle warmers and will try these I saw a how to clip of one of the sponsors using this method and it looks good to me. Especially since I have to lug hot water down to my basement like half pint on little house on the parie.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 06:10PM

You don't have to warm the LIGHT finish Or make the heavy Light I never warm mine No Need To I thin the Heavy and make it a light

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Frank Willis (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 08:03PM

Hobby Lobby had the candle warmers on sale recently for $2.50 ea. They work great.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 29, 2013 08:34PM

Be careful with the candle warmers..... I had one and it melted right through a bottle, made a huge mess.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 09:47PM

I use the bigger bottles (16oz) and I just stick them in front of a little space heater I have to keep my feet warm.rotate them about once a minute and good to go after 5

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Date: December 29, 2013 10:00PM

Just buy one of the smallest microwaves that are on the market. They take up next to no room and work well for these sub minute jobs with little issues. You can often find the smallest microwaves for $30-$40 or even get them at a pawn shop or salvation army or good will stores.

Be safe

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.40.---)
Date: December 30, 2013 08:49AM

No worries for me! I live in Far North Queensland. It's hot as Hades here right now!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 30, 2013 12:58PM

I also have larger bottles but transfer to some smaller 4oz for easy use. all this warming stuff is to much work, toss them in the pocket ready the stuff and done. no scare of melting, water fires or the like. THe 4z bottles are free and so is the heat.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 01:09PM

If I need to warm it I boil water in a small pot ( SHUT ) the burner Off Then put them in for maybe 10 min very warm Just make sure you shout the burners off I melted a couple one time -- only one time Live and learn

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 30, 2013 04:07PM

Warm the resin for 10 seconds in the microwave. Problem solved.

Interesting (and applicable) read off the Trondak FAQ section...

Q. Can I use my Supreme if it is older than a year?

A. There really is no time limit on epoxies. The hardener portion may tend to turn brown when exposed to daylight for several years, but it will still perform satisfactorily. The resins may turn somewhat milky if stored in cold conditions. This is the first stages of crystallization. Merely soak the bottle in hot water for maybe 10 minutes or so, or zap in the microwave for 10 second intervals until it is clear. It is not harmed in any way. Do not heat the hardener portions for any reason.

Date: December 30, 2013 05:54PM

Just pick up an inexpensive Microwave to keep in the shop:

[www.walmart.com]

In addition to warming your glues and epoxies, it works well to heat your coffee or hot chocolate or even do a quick heat on a microwave dinner when you are working a long session.

Be safe

Posted by: Andrew Bermack (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 08:29PM

I just use a small clip on lamp from the hardware store. I clip it on one of my rod dryer stands I put a flood light in it and while I'm getting ready to put on the finish-organizing, getting some towels cleaning up my bench it gets plenty warm.

You can't catch any fish sitting on the couch!
Houston, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster