I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping ends???
Posted by: Ernest Cameron (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 04:51PM

When wrapping a 4 piece fly rod, you have the female ends which need to be wrapped so the ends wont crack..right? Heres my question, how are you supposed to wrap to the end of the blank without having overhang going into the female end of the blank which might cause the male end not to fit correctly. Is there a mandrill you stick in to the female end, wrap the end and epoxy it then pull the mandrill out? where can I find this mandrill?, or is there another trick? This is the first time I am wrapping a 4 piece fly rod, so any suggestions would be great.

God bless, Ernest

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping ends???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2013 05:08PM

Assemble the rod. Use the male section/s as your "mandrel."

Posted by: Judd Stanislawski (192.145.247.---)
Date: December 28, 2013 05:08PM

When I wrap a two piece rod I will start my thread working my way toward the female end adding my tie off loop and pulling my tag when there is about an 1/8 to a 1/16 of an inch left to wrap before falling off the end of the blank.That leaves enough room to epoxy the threads without wicking epoxy into the female end. No need for a mandrill. be sure not to wrap with two much tension or you may compress the female hole.
Hope this helps.

Judd S.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 05:43PM

I put a turn of masking tape on the male ends, to protect them, then epoxy all the winding. If any epoxy seeps over the edges, it lands on the tape.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: December 28, 2013 05:44PM

The masking tape works for me as well.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 05:59PM

The masking tape is an excellant idea.
If you have a source for blank sections, another way is inserting a piece of one "backwards",
so the thinner OD goes in until it stops will usually leave a gap between the inserted blank "mandrel and the original blank that is being coated.
That should keep any finish from sticking to anything but where it is intended.
It is very important to be sure that none wicks into the female opening also.
If you decide to protect that joint with tape on the male end and then joining the sections so that it cannot be "glued" together by accident,
just be very careful about applying finish.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 07:48PM

When I do my wraps, I start with the end of the thread well up the rod, and then run down the rod to within about 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch from the end. Then, I continue to wrap up the rod a 1/4 or 3/8th of an inch and tie it off.

I am doing the wrapping with the other piece of rod, inserted into the blank.

When I do my epoxy coating, I take a piece of Wax Paper and wrap it around the smaller piece of blank and insert the wax paper coated blank into the larger piece of blank.

Then, when I apply the finish, I am careful about applying the finish, but if I ever had the misadventure of getting the epoxy down too far, the finish would hit the wax paper and could be easily trimmed off with the two pieces separated.

I have never had to do any trimming, but I like the wax paper to protect the other piece of blank and to keep the two pieces from sticking.

I have used wax paper for many different applications in both rod building as well as model building to keep things from sticking together.

Be safe

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2013 09:24AM

When I epoxy i wrap wax paper on the male end

Mot's Custom Rods and Reels

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster