I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to maintain fiberglass sleeve color
Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: December 28, 2013 02:48AM

i want to make white grip from white 100% natural fiberglass sleeve from riley rods
in 1st tried i failed because the epoxy make the sleeve transparent and i only have sleeve just for 1 trial again
if i used CP i worry about the sleeve will don't have good bonding with the foam core
white pigment is not an option,because i want it still have weave pattern look just like a regular black carbon

regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to maintain fiberglass sleeve color
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 04:58AM

Hello Ernest.

I paint my foam core white, put the glass on and epoxy as normal and the weave will show through.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 06:36AM

the natural fiberglass will get mostly clear when you wet it. If you want a white grip then paint your core as Robert suggested or paint the handle after you sleeve it.

Date: December 28, 2013 06:36AM

Robert

what type of paint do you use?I'm concerning they will not compatible with the epoxy or the foam it self

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2013 07:37AM

You can also tint your epoxy white. Just another suggestion for something that may get you what you want.

Date: December 28, 2013 08:44AM

The paint doesn't matter as long as you let it dry. Atleast i have never found any problem. Just use a can of spray

Date: December 28, 2013 08:48AM

The only thing you might have issue with is if you topcoat with permagloss. It can get hot and melt some paints, but if your paint is underneath your sleeve then it would be no problem. I use fiberglass sleeving when i hydrodip handles or paint them. Just sand smooth for the best results or the paint will show any imperfections.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 08:59AM

Tinting the epoxy white is going to get the best results.

You should also color the core white. Either by painting or the way I like to do it is to use white tinted epoxy for the seal coat.

Is this what you are trying to achieve [www.rodbuilding.org] ? That is a white pigment that is completely opaque.

I have also finished ones just like that with clear on top and a smooth finish. I'll check to see if I have any pics to show you.

The only way to truly show the weave ( like the carbon) as white is to use the white precolored fiberglass sleeve. The individual strands are dyed prior to weaving. I have some on hand but I do not offer it because it is much more difficult to work with. It is very stiff not even close to as supple as the natural glass or carbon, has an edge and I have a hard time getting good results with it.

I don't have either the white tint or the white sleeve on the website but if you would like some shoot me an email.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Date: December 28, 2013 09:22AM

thanks for the reply
@Mike : yes you're right. my friend really want white handle (with visible weave pattern) because he saw those photo from your website,
maybe i should try to paint the foam first

once again thanks all

ernest

Date: December 28, 2013 09:54AM

These are a couple that are in progress. [www.rodbuilding.org]

These along with many other Hard Core Grips to Go! (48 different types of spin, cast and fly in various color and sizes) will be available at our booth at the 2014 ICRBE.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2013 10:49AM

Ernest;
I have just completed a rod with white handle, and suggest following mikes Advice;

If you paint the core white (as I did) and do not add tint to the epoxy (as I did NOT) the handle will come out amber looking.
I Had to paint the handle afterwards in order to get the white color I was looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 10:49AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: December 29, 2013 07:52AM

Mike
that's what i'm try to achieve

thanks

Date: December 29, 2013 09:25AM

This is the white pigment that I use and recomend. It is formulated to be used with epoxies. [www.rileyrods.com]

-I use 10% pigment by weight of mixed epoxy.
-Seal core with white tinted epoxy let dry.
-Do the wet lay-up with white tinted epoxy and make sure it is thoroughly and evenly saturated
-Hit it with a heat gun and wick off excess until you see the weave uniformly
-Cure then clean up ends

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 05:10PM

Hello Ernest.

Like John I use lots of different pigments and paints, and also like John I let the paint dry when using the paint method.

I believe Mike @ Riley Rods is the man on the glass and carbon grips.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster