I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for suggestions for 11' noodle rod
Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: December 27, 2013 10:09PM

Guys, one of my local flows requires the use of a long noodle rod with a spinning reel and very light leaders for steelhead.
I currently use a production Fenwick World class I bought in the 80s that is 11' long and rated 2-6lb, it has been absolutely perfect and landed literally100s of fish but sadly its not the greatest of shape anymore.
I have toyed with the thought of re-building it but thought I would check and see if there were any comparable blanks out there that are not ridiculously priced and I would just build a new one to save a lot of work.
So far the only comparable blank I can find is made by St Croix but its cost makes it a deal breaker for my budget, does anyone know of any blanks more reasonably priced?
I am looking for 10.5-11.5' length 2-6lb line 1/16-1/4 lure
Not sure if they ever sold the blanks or just factory built rods but ideally finding a WSH1101-2 blank would be awesome.
Thanks
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for suggestions for 11' noodle rod
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 07:35AM

Paul, only you can determine whether a blank is reasonably priced for your budget. Some rod builders believe St Croix blanks are reasonably priced. My suggestion would be to do your own research by looking at the web sites of the major blank suppliers and search for the blank that YOU might find reasonable. You would also be surprised at what else you may discover that will enhance your fishing rod knowledge.

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: December 28, 2013 12:33PM

I just finished a 9'6" MHX steelhead rod that feels much like some noodle rods I used in Tennessee. They have several very light (4 to 8lb) lightweight blanks up to 12' in their steelhead listings.

Date: December 28, 2013 07:53PM

P. Wayne Hart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just finished a 9'6" MHX steelhead rod that
> feels much like some noodle rods I used in
> Tennessee. They have several very light (4 to
> 8lb) lightweight blanks up to 12' in their
> steelhead listings.

Thx for that, I must have overlooked their selection of lighter blanks when I looked thru the MH catalogue.
Definitely priced right, the ST-1141 looks good but a bit on the short side

Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 06:51PM

if you have a lucky rod stick with it. i have a gloomis 1380 noodle rod i built long ago that is ready for its third set of guides. the first set were double foot aluminum guides from italy that were light as a feather that i literally wore out. i then put some fuji high frame hardloy match guides and fished many years but they seem awful heavy now. i might have to try some light weight recoil guides next. your post made me wonder what i would do if i broke mine and i think gary still makes a noodle rod at n f c.

Posted by: Mike Marriott (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 08:35PM

Paul, I have a 11' 4-8lb blank that I have had for a few years not going to get around to building it, I don't remember what brand, I could sell cheap. Mike

Date: January 01, 2014 11:08PM

Hey Mike, can you email me the details?
tbpipke@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 11:16PM by Paul Pipke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster