I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plate Type reel seats?
Posted by: Joseph F. Haney (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 04:59PM

I was wondering if anyone uses plate type reels seats for light spinning and surf spinning rods and could offer some adve on attaching them to the rod blanki. I wanted to build something different and bought a couple fuji plate reel seats..one with cushions and skirts and the other is a smaller all metall plate without any cushion or skirts.

not to assume correct but I was wondering .. could i use A size under wrap for points of contact to the blank and size D wrap over the mid section and feet of the plate seat that is all metal. Is it also necessary to use under wraps for the plate seat with rubber cushions ???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plate Type reel seats?
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 06:31PM

Hi
I just finished a build with the Fuji LS7 reel seat and first of all I love it!! very easy to use!! I used size D overwrap but didn't need an underwrap as I had layered the blank with surf grip tape.
The one I used had a cushion and skirt and if it was to go straight onto the blank I would not bother with the underwrap as the cushion seems like it would do fine.
For the full metal one I would prob just go for the size A underwrap as you suggest.
Regards Andi

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2013 06:31PM

I have used them. There was an article in rodmaker about using them and attaching them to tubing using cord. You can certainly use thread. I like the using cord. It can be decorative as well as very durable. they would work well on a surf rod by incorporating them into a corded handle.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 07:12PM

have used quite a few of the Fuji Plate seats. I really like them especially on larger OD Blanks for keeping the reel-Seat size at more easily gripped combo Have not under wrapped them with thread but always have soom material under them (Abalone veneer in photo)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 07:12PM

have used quite a few of the Fuji Plate seats. I really like them especially on larger OD Blanks for keeping the reel-Seat size at more easily gripped combo Have not under wrapped them with thread but always have soom material under them (Abalone veneer in photo)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: mike thacker (---.sub-75-230-26.myvzw.com)
Date: December 24, 2013 07:31PM

I built a surf rod using a fuji plate reel seat about a month ago. I like it. I cord wrapped the handle and then used the same type of cord to attach the reel seat. i spar varnished the handle and wraps holding the reel seat. So far it is doing well. I've caught medium sized drum on it and am still waiting to put it truly to the test with a big one.

Posted by: Joseph F. Haney (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 25, 2013 07:51PM

Thank you all for the quick responses and useful help!!! Happy New year !!!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2013 09:44PM

Joseph,

In regard to lighter spinning rods. I gave a rod to my brother-in-law yesterday, an MHX MB782 with an LS7 plate style seat with cushions and skirt. The handle was a split grip with the seat wrapped onto a section of carbon sleeved foam ~8" long. It was wrapped with size A thread, with no underwraps needed. The only bit of advice is to use some temporary thread wraps to cinch the seat down to the handle before trying to wrap over the feet.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster