I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It Happens just like that, in the blink of an eye
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 22, 2013 01:36PM

I am sure most of you already know this, but for the new builders out there please take my experience and learn from it, do not let this happen to you.

Last night before I went to bed, I noticed that there was a guide on the ice fishing rod I am making for my dads christmas present that was not aligned like it should have been. No problem thats an easy fix, just CAREFULLY cut the guide off with a sharp knife and start over. So I sat down at my bench this morning with the rod, a brand new very sharp blade and my heat gun. The plan was to heat the blade of the knife and carefully slice through the epoxy and thread to remove the guide and rewrap. Everything was going good until it came to removed the last little bit of epoxy and underwrap and it was being a real bear, so I thought I would very quickly hit it with the heat gun to soft things up like I have done many times in the past. Well a 10 second laps in concentration ruined 100 hours worth of work. Instead of hitting the low switch on the gun I hit the high switch and even though I didn't have the gun on for more than 3 or 4 second it was enough to completely warp the blank and the very top twisted. Down the tubes is a 40 dollar blank (ALOT for an ice rod blank) and close to 100 hours worth of work.

I have nobody to blame but myself I should have seen that the guide wasn't lined up when I wrapped it, I should have been paying more attention when I went to fix it. Unfortunately there is no time to get another built before out family christmas on Saturday. Please let my mistakes be a lesson to everyone out there, pay attention to what you are doing, if you are going to use a heat gun be incredibly careful you can ruin all your hard work before you realize what just happened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It Happens just like that, in the blink of an eye
Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: December 22, 2013 02:20PM

so sorry to hear that..
your epoxy still very fresh and soft enough to carefully remove without heat.
but sometimes we want everything faster :(

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2013 02:28PM

That is why I tell all Ya got to give two weeks at least

Hast makes Wast
Happened to me heating guides up to change them and refinish the blank
Watching TV not paying attention Butts alright Got neer the tip Over heat All of a sudden the tip makes a 90 bend OOPs

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 22, 2013 03:16PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is why I tell all Ya got to give two weeks at
> least
>
> Hast makes Wast
> Happened to me heating guides up to change them
> and refinish the blank
> Watching TV not paying attention Butts alright Got
> neer the tip Over heat All of a sudden the tip
> makes a 90 bend OOPs

Yup, I didn't think it would be much work at all, just remove the guide and start over. I just got sloppy and stopped concentrating for just a second and BOOM, its all over. Then on top of it when I did notice I damn near stabbed myself in the foot when I dropped my knife and burned my knee when I dropped the heat gun. Im staying out of the rod shop for the rest of the day LOL

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2013 04:59PM

Scott, sorry for your lost work and money!!
Do not use the heat gun again on the rod blank, it is just not necessary! You don't even need it to heat the scalpel. Just start cutting at the junction of the guide foot, be careful and peel off the epoxied thread after once making a cut at the base of the foot. Heat is not necessary at all. You won't ruin anymore rod blanks and your hours of work.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2013 06:58PM

Scott,
As long as there is nothing left to lose, just use the heat gun on the other side of the blank to remove the twist and warp.
Try it, it may work.

But, in any event, do not THROW out the blank and your work.
Depending on the blank, no matter the blank, you can cut a portion of the blank and splice on a new piece. If you do the splice where you have the guide, you will be able to make it nearly invisible.

Another option that I have used on occasion is to cut the blank, right at the first guide. Then, make the splice with a replacement blank at the first guide. That will save all of your butt wrap and its work.

However, I would certainly give the heat gun a try - first - to see if you could remove the warp and twist.

In spite of the other comments, I use a heat gun on every rod that I build to flow out the finish when finishing.

By the way, whenever I remove a guide, I just put a bit of heat on the guide side of the blank. I use just enough heat to soften the epoxy. Then, I cut the thread and epoxy against the guide. By cutting against the guide, this prevents any damage to the blank.

You can easily make it right. Don't give up.

Be safe

Date: December 22, 2013 07:17PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
> As long as there is nothing left to lose, just use
> the heat gun on the other side of the blank to
> remove the twist and warp.
> Try it, it may work.
>
> But, in any event, do not THROW out the blank and
> your work.
> Depending on the blank, no matter the blank, you
> can cut a portion of the blank and splice on a new
> piece. If you do the splice where you have the
> guide, you will be able to make it nearly
> invisible.
>
> Another option that I have used on occasion is to
> cut the blank, right at the first guide. Then,
> make the splice with a replacement blank at the
> first guide. That will save all of your butt wrap
> and its work.
>
> However, I would certainly give the heat gun a try
> - first - to see if you could remove the warp and
> twist.
>
> In spite of the other comments, I use a heat gun
> on every rod that I build to flow out the finish
> when finishing.
>
> By the way, whenever I remove a guide, I just put
> a bit of heat on the guide side of the blank. I
> use just enough heat to soften the epoxy. Then, I
> cut the thread and epoxy against the guide. By
> cutting against the guide, this prevents any
> damage to the blank.
>
> You can easily make it right. Don't give up.
>
> Be safe

Roger,

I thought about doing that, but the blank twisted 180 degrees so I am pretty sure its shot. I am not sure if I have the skill or the knowledge to splice it. I am going to keep it, and put it up on my bench as a constant reminder to myself to slow down and pay attention. Sure I have a good deal of time and quite a bit of money wrapped up into it but its just time and its just money, I am still proud of the work that I did on it and I think it will be a good reminder for me.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2013 07:51PM

I am sure Roger will not agree, but for most of us, the risks of using a heat gun on a blank at anytime far out weighs any benefits! I almost all cases the same work can be done without heat.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2013 10:54PM

It may not be much consolation, but I use bent butt rods all the time for offshore trolling - You just be able to start an innovative trend with a bent ice rod.

Posted by: keith david (---.64.215.18.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 23, 2013 09:46AM

That @#$%& so bad. im sorry to hear. Sure pop will understand. Look at it this way, you could now have the chance to do some of it with him. I wish I had the chance with my pop. Turn it positive. Still @#$%& though. Thanks for the tip. Merry Christmas.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2013 04:43PM

Scott,
You stated that the blank twisted 180 degrees. I assume that this is a solid graphite rod. With the rod the way that it is right now, how does the rod flex if you just flex it from the tip by putting line through the guides.

If you can do a full flex on the blank and not break the blank and the blank is reasonably straight, just take off the guides that are not aligned, including the tip and rewrap them.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 09:40AM

This type of mistake usually happens to me when I've been working a long time in the shop and it's late. Trying to get a project finished, I'll miss a step or attempt the dreaded short cut. If I have to leave a rod before all the guides are aligned, I put a huge note on it so I don't forget to do it on the return.

Just so you know, I use an alcohol flame for a little heat on removing old epoxy instead of a heat gun. Cooler and a little more controlled than the gun. You might give this a try next time.

So, we all feel your pain. Hope you can avoid this in the future.

Terry

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.23.---)
Date: December 30, 2013 03:07PM

Cobble the remainder of the rod into a flyswatter, they are popular made from rod grips.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 03:49PM

Even a back scratcher

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster