I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX S871-2 Spinning Rod Blank - extra guide or not
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 21, 2013 07:33AM

Hi All,

This 7'3 rod is rated UL freshwater, but it will be used exclusively in the salt targeting fish between 1lb and 4lb, using 2-5 gram lures and poppers, on a 2000 reel with 3lb braid.

I used the MHX guide spacing recommendations which worked out well on the static test and casting in the park.

The guides I am using are Minima XSV4XG: 20, 16, 10, 5, 5, 5, 5, T.

My question is; as I am new to building UL gear like this, should I add an extra guide to alliviate any stress on larger fish, or will this be ok as is.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX S871-2 Spinning Rod Blank - extra guide or not
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 21, 2013 08:08AM

I would add another running guide.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 21, 2013 08:35AM

Hi Don,

Do you have any guide spacing recommendations for this blank.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 21, 2013 10:13AM

If the static test looks good then adding another guide will only add unnecessary weight. The size of the fish will not matter. The rod blank is going to bend in the same arc, regardless of the size of the fish, based on your spacing. That being said it wouldn't hurt to tape the guide in place and static test it again then move/remove any guides that you don't deem necessary. As far as guide spacing goes, if you are static testing is done correctly then your spacing is what it is.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2013 10:15AM

If you decide to add an extra guide, keep it simple, after the #10 just equal space the #5's

Date: December 21, 2013 01:28PM

Richard, check your email

Date: December 21, 2013 01:41PM

Vic is correct but I am guessing on an UL that long that the static test will not work out from my experience with UL's

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2013 03:42PM

Depending on the speed of the tip, the spacing you have may be fine, or you may need to add one or two more guides.

I find that with blanks that have extra fast tips, that I start from the tip and put a guide every 3 inches, until I am past the extra fast tip and then start to space the guides out.

If I am building a rod with a fast tip, I typically start from the tip and put a guide every 4 inches until I am past the fast tip.

If I am buiding a rod that has a more moderate tip, I generally will start with the tip and then, go to 5, then 6, and then 7 inches - due to the much slower action on the rod.

So, the way that I test, is to simply have line running through all of the guides and then load the rod well from the line end. If I find that the line separates from the blank at one location, more than another, I will put a guide at that location to even out the line flow.
Basically, have enough guides, and just enough guides so that the line follows the bend of the loaded blank.

Be safe

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2013 10:26AM

If it tests well under load, don't bother adding anything. I would make sure to rinse your Minima guides very well after each and every use in the salt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster