I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxying piece of blank into bottom of another blank for extra length?
Posted by: michael evans (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 11:34PM

hi everyone, im gonna be building a 11' 5wt ( single hand weight) into a trout spey / switch rod , and was wondering about epoxying 6" off the butt of a broken 2wt blank i have for some extra length. will mixing 2 different blank weights in the handle affect the performance of the rod? i dont think it would make any difference but wanted everyone's opinion? sorry if this is a dumb question this will only be my 5th build and im not sure of the process or its effects.

thanks for reply's

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxying piece of blank into bottom of another blank for extra length?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 12:21AM

Keep in mind the the lower hand on the butt end is the power hand when spey casting! If the 2wt piece is less powerful then the blank above it, you may notice some flex on the butt hand.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 20, 2013 02:35AM

Hi Michael,
I don't build fly rods or speys but I've extended quite a few blanks. I'll support Phil and IMO I wouldn't be using a blank that has less guts than what the main one is. Personally I'd want something that has more thickness than the main blank so it doesn't bend in that area. The extension isn't very long so you might have no problems but I'd be looking for a piece of blank that is slightly thicker. It doesn't have to come from another fly rod, any blank will suffice so long as it matches the taper of the main blank.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 07:38AM

Trim the piece you are going to use Insert it and go out and cast it see how it feels If it seems to be a little Flexy find anothe piece to insert into the insert
This will add some weight But it is on the butt of the rod

Or try to find a stronger section
Which may just be as heavy as the two inserts

6" is not that much

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2013 08:54AM

If possible, put the extension on the outside of the blank. This will help keep the stiffness up by virtue of the extension being a larger diameter.

There is an article on extending rod blanks in the online library here.

Posted by: michael evans (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 10:56AM

Thanks guys, I figured it wouldn't be the best to use a lighter blank but since it was only gonna be 6" I wansnt sure. I'll just hold off and see if I can find another blank. Idk why I'm even building a trout spey, since I started rod building I just seem to find any excuse for a new rod lol.

Date: December 20, 2013 10:59AM

That is the Excitment of a new thing or toy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 12:04PM

I have extended many rods by as much as the full length of the grip.
I simply use a piece of blank that fits snugly on the outside of the original blank when in place and I make sure to overlap by about 2-3 inches and have never had any issues with any of the rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 02:41PM

The sleeve type extension would be far better than an extension that fits into the butt of the rod. Spey casting puts entirely different stress on the rod than overhead casting. Much more twisting of the blank and that is why most Spey casters tape their ferrules while fishing. The stress can loosen the ferrules and end up in either a lost or broken section .

Date: December 20, 2013 03:15PM

If all pieces are preped WELL take any clear off down to graphite prep the inside of the blank
If the new piece is thin walled Insert another Preping all surfaces WELL
Rod bond At least 3 Plus inches
6" under Over that Over the blank

I have repared many seats that were loose
Ony because some one was to lazy to strip the clear and paint off the parts
The glue sticks to the paint --- but the paint comes off the blank Therefor a bad bond

I also had a guy come to me cause the handle was loose
A builder had put a section into the blank to extend it

But Put Tape Completely over it
The glue stuck to the tape -- but the tape gave way
Ya got to get a good bond Not just a fine scoff pad

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2013 03:22PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 05:32PM

You don't "have" to use another blank. It is just that some guys have scraps laying around. For those that don't, you could consider carbon fiber tubing. You can get them in a variety of diameters and wall thickness. Try hobby places that cater to remote controlled airplanes and the like.

You can use masking tape to quickly put arbors on the butt of your blank as needed.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 06:11PM

Michael,
Since it is only a #5 rod - I would do the following
Using REC components:
Get:
1 - REC RSLS reel seat. They come in black or Titanium Smoke.
1 - REC Removable fighting butt threaded insert that fits the RSLS. Do not get the threaded post. You will not need it unless you also want the option of a short FB also.
5 - REC 1" FB extensions.

Install the seat leaving 1/2" aft for the FB plug.
Install the plug using epoxy.
Join the 5 extension pieces using loctite or epoxy.
Install cork over the 5" of the joined extensions.

You now have a 5" very rigid removable fighting butt that can take all the force needed.
Herb

Posted by: michael evans (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 09:00PM

thanks guys for the great idea's , all the options everyone listed seems great, i might just go with the rec components or doubling up the pieces into the butt, seeing as the only other broken blank i have is a ocean boat rod thats wayy to big. i was hoping to build this rod for fairly cheap using the cork and reel seat i have off of the 2wt, and then just extending the blank and buying a fixed fighting butt. i have never tried cutting graphite, can it just be done with a die grinder with an abrasive wheel or do you need a special tool?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 11:04PM

You can cut a graphite blank with a triangular fine file, Dremel cut-off tool or any other cut-off tool. If using the file just attack the blank directly. If a cut-off tool wrap with paper tape first.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 11:54PM

I am a little confused about your latest post. Not at clear how you would use the "cork" off the 2wt and why you mention a "fighting butt." A switch or spey rod does not have a fighting butt, just a lower grip which is the "action" grip for making the spey type of casts.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2013 12:32AM

Michael,
Go to a Salvation army or good will and pick up a half dozen rods for a $.

Then you will have plenty of stock to easily extend your blank.

Just use a piece of blank that will give a nice tight fit on the back 3-4 inches of the blank and you will be set.

Be safe

Posted by: michael evans (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 22, 2013 03:55AM

Phil- yes I was thinking about trying to re use the cork off of the 2wt I know typical spey rods have longer front handles , I might instead just buy the mini spey handle kit from anglers roost.and I meant lower handle.

Roger- great idea I have a st vinnys,salvation army,and good will all within a mile of my work . I never would've thought to check those places.

I was thinking about getting one of the cheap harbor freight dremel type tools has and body had any luckwith those?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster