I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye jigging ice rod
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.branchdistrictlibrary.org)
Date: December 19, 2013 01:31PM

I am looking for blank suggestions for the above rod. We will be fishing Little Bay De Noc. I've never fished walleyes through the ice so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Vic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye jigging ice rod
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: December 19, 2013 03:37PM

Victor,
One or two blanks will give you a lot of options depending on size and action of lure. I use the Mud Hole CIB-42-MHX as is for small spoons and minnows, cut back the tip until the green is gone and you have a perfect blank for jigging rapalas. Cut it until the tip is 2.05mm and you have a good heavy spoon rod. That is a solid graphite blank. You can go with their new CIB-36-MH-MHX blank which is a graphite blank patterned after the thorne brothers "Professional" model. Another good choice for an all around blank. If you need some specifics shoot me an email. Happy to help.

Buzz Butters

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2013 11:15PM

I would definitely use a MHX ice blank Med action. They catch trophy fish up there. I would use no less then eight lb test also. I would go 2.5 -3 ft length also with a good spinning reel. You will have a blast.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 20, 2013 09:07AM

I haven't had a chance to run through MHX line up yet but in order to give you the best suggestion we need to know what types of presentations you plan on using it for. I wouldn't recommend the same rod for fishing light Slender Spoons or Tingler spoons that I would for fishing heavier blade baits or chubby darters as I would for dead sticking.

That being said just going off what I have heard others say about the MHX lineup here is what I would choose.

Deadstick rod-Light Action Power Noodle CIB-26L

Light Spoon/Small Jig/Small Chubby Darter Rod- CIB-36-MHX, CIB-30-MHX, CIB-36UL-MHX, CIB-36MLMF-MHX

Blade Bait/Bigger Chubby Daters/Rippin Rod- CIB-30-MHX, CIB-42-MHX, CIB-36MH-MHX (this blank might be a little heavy but with the size of fish that lake is known for it should be okay, it might struggle with the small fish though)

These are all longer rods which I prefer for bigger walleyes but then again I hole hope a lot, if you are going to spend most of your time in a sleeper shack or in a flipover style shack I would cut them down to about 28".

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2013 10:33AM

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to order a CIB36Mhx and CIB42Mhx probably build them both and go from there.

Vic

Posted by: jason henderson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2014 05:45PM

Looking to get into the topic here a little more.
Really looking for opinions on the MHX blanks specifically the walleye wizard, the professional, and the 42" walleye blanks. Any guys that have used them and what the application was.
Jigging rap size?
Jigging spoon size?
Size of fish, etc...

Any insight would be great .

Also wondering why the professional is double the $$$

Thanks
Jason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster