I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Opinion...Subjective for sure!
Posted by: Drew McCarsky (---.EPSOLT4.epbfi.com)
Date: December 18, 2013 02:27PM

This is for my curiosity and since I am in the midst of the best of the best...Here is the question.

If you are building the "ultimate rod"- Money is no Object, this rod is the best of the very best- your Nirvana of builds..."THE ONE" that will define you let's say

For the sake of argument- Its a 7 foot Med fast action, something a freshwater angler would use possibly?

You reach for the ___________________ Finish. (and it does not HAVE to be epoxy) .Include a why if you like. ME? I always defaulted to Flex Coat high build. But it's the one I always got from our distributor for our tackle shop . So I am familiar with it. (lousy reason maybe, hence I would like to hear others)

thanks,
Drewski <'}////><

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Opinion...Subjective for sure!
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: December 18, 2013 02:41PM

Depends. For ultimate security and dependability, Permagloss. Period. If I want a nice look to go with it, something smooth and glossy, I will put a top layer of Flex Coat over it.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 04:00PM

The best finish, to me, is the one you know how to use. Each one has their own idiosyncrasies.

The one you are familiar with is the one that works for you not because that's a lousy reason, but rather because it IS familiar to you.

Is one better than another? I'll leave that for the peanut gallery to debate. I know which one I use, but I use it because I know how to use it...not because I think it's better than anything else out there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 04:42PM

I like the FlexCoat UV seems to have a better formula and levels nice -- Seems to stay clear
Don't know for how long - But many times said Finishes will Yellow OVER time

So - You may be better off and I am sure it will stay clear -- permagloss

Or an Auto Two Stage Clear Should be the Ultimite I have never seen a new car with there clear coat Yellow ??? And now they have Water Based Clears never tried -- Yet

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 07:39PM

Threadmaster, first coat of Lite followed by regular.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 08:25PM

Threadmaster or Threadmaster Lite or LS Supreme! (because they allow me to mess with them the most and still get away with a nice job - ie; more forgiving!)

Rog

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 18, 2013 11:53PM

I like Jay's answer. Experiment. Find the one you have the most consistency with, at a high quality level. That happens to be Thread Master for me.

Posted by: Don Baker (138.230.250.---)
Date: December 19, 2013 03:49AM

Flexcoat. Very reliable and easy to use with great results.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 19, 2013 07:43AM

I have used flexcoat, threadmaster and prokote..... each one acted different and had a small learning curve...they all worked very well once I got used to using them. I now use prokote and like it as it is more of a medium build versus light or heavy.

Posted by: Tim Denholm (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 03:01PM

I have used FlexCote since the 70s with great results. On fly rods a cote of lite and one of high build. No yellowing problems, but I don't use color preserver.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 07:51PM

Another HUGE fan of Flexcoat ... the products and the people.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2013 05:46PM

In the spirit of the original question, and without knowing much about it, how about the UV curing finishes that set up in 15-30 seconds?

[www.alcatruz.pt]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster