I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Monster rod for a Shimano Saragosa 25000
Posted by: keith david (---.64.215.18.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 02:40PM

Hello all. My wife got me a Shimano Saragosa 25000 for my bday, and im wanting to build a new rod for it. The rod will be casted out about 100 yards in the middle of the Sebastian inlet on the out going and free spooled about another 70-100 yards for black tips and spinners. It needs to have back bone enough to cast out a heavy bait, I would like a 1pc. im still a newbie so I hope it not a stupid request. I see guys out their with these monster rods, but none are social. Any input from you guys would be great. Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 02:45PM by keith david.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Monster rod for a Shimano Saragosa 25000
Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 04:06PM

I don't know how you are even gunna get even close to casting 100 yds with a shark bait. Im a hardcore regular at the inlet and you really only need to cast twenty yards from Northside and about 30 yds from South and then let the current do the rest. Sharks are usually about 250 yds or more towards monster hole at times as well. If you really wanna cast that far your gunna need atleast an 11ft rod and it will be tiring as @#$%& so make sure its needed. I don't know of anyone using spinning gear for sharks or I could ask for you since I do know most of the guys down there. Most are non social until they get to know you or realize you know what your doing then they will help you out.

Date: December 18, 2013 09:43AM

Dennis Hamilton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know how you are even gunna get even close
> to casting 100 yds with a shark bait. Im a
> hardcore regular at the inlet and you really only
> need to cast twenty yards from Northside and about
> 30 yds from South and then let the current do the
> rest. Sharks are usually about 250 yds or more
> towards monster hole at times as well. If you
> really wanna cast that far your gunna need atleast
> an 11ft rod and it will be tiring as @#$%& so make
> sure its needed. I don't know of anyone using
> spinning gear for sharks or I could ask for you
> since I do know most of the guys down there. Most
> are non social until they get to know you or
> realize you know what your doing then they will
> help you out.

I have a buddy cory that hits the inlet every so often, im going by what he says. But 20-30 yards huh. That's even better than I thought. I keep hearing of monster hole, I looked at a satellite image, is that the dark spot I see south of the south side? Last year I was doing ok with a spinning reel on black tips, but the reel was a tad too small, and got spooled after a while(Battle). The last time I was at the inlet was a decade or so for flounder. The rod I am looking at is a Lamiglas GSB136-1MH G1000 Surf/Bar 11'6" 50lb 6-16 oz wght. What do you mostly fish for in that inlet? Do you shark fish? Thanks so much for the reply Dennis.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 09:51AM

The longer the rod the poorer its fish-fighting characteristics. When you have finished reeling in a 100 lb. black tip for 250 yards against the tidal current this fact will be painfully apparent. Consider a shorter rod with more leverage.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: December 19, 2013 12:11AM

Keith, did you ever get around to casting practice at a local (football) field? It helps to have an idea of just how far you can cast.

If you can handle that lami it will handle the fish. I wouldn't want something that long for shark. Makes my back ache just thinking about it:)

What is the longest rod you presently own and cast with?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 19, 2013 10:42AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> Keith, did you ever get around to casting practice
> at a local (football) field? It helps to have an
> idea of just how far you can cast.
>
> If you can handle that lami it will handle the
> fish. I wouldn't want something that long for
> shark. Makes my back ache just thinking about
> it:)
>
> What is the longest rod you presently own and cast
> with?
Hey Russ, Whats good? I have a 14' lott bros that I did cast at the high school field near my house, and with a good pendulum cast, its off the field. I don't just want it for sharks, but also to be able to cast 8 and bait. Im looking at a rain shadow as well.
The lott bros I have has landed a few black tips (none huge), but Im now wanting some thing new. I bought that rod in 84 when we first moved to Florida. Ive tried 9' rods from the beach, and they have not gottin out as far as I would like. When fishing my big shark rod, I kayak bait out. But I really want to cast a nice hunk out far.
That rod is a 9' 80-130lb gator blank. No casting that. But that for hammers and such. I want distance, and back bone. That's about all I have. Whats your thought on 2pc blanks. SUR1596 Rainshadow is one im looking at on getbitoutdoors.com. Any feedback. Thanks Russ. I hope you and the family are good.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 11:45AM

Okay cool Keith, I see you know what you are doing. Sorry for doubting you bro:)

If you want 1pc choices are limited. IMHO you can never go wrong with a lami for surf casting. I wouldn't consider the rainshadow the equal of that lami (which is listed to cast a pound). Seems a little on the powerful side but then you sound like you aren't fooling around. I'd contact Don Becker for advice. A lot would depend on who....err I mean what....you are using for bait:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 19, 2013 03:14PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> Okay cool Keith, I see you know what you are
> doing. Sorry for doubting you bro:)
>
> If you want 1pc choices are limited. IMHO you can
> never go wrong with a lami for surf casting. I
> wouldn't consider the rainshadow the equal of that
> lami (which is listed to cast a pound). Seems a
> little on the powerful side but then you sound
> like you aren't fooling around. I'd contact Don
> Becker for advice. A lot would depend on
> who....err I mean what....you are using for bait:)

LOL, I wish I knew what I were doing. what's your feed back on 2pc blanks? That rainshadow im looking at is a 2pc, but I hear mixed things about them.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 03:51PM

I couldn't deal with the hassle of a 1PC blank that long. Todays 2PC blanks are a far cry from the days of metal ferrules. Buy without concern of performance loss. I shudder to think what the shipping cost of a 1PC would be.

I would look at lami first. I'm just not a surf caster guy so I can't advise. Don is in Hawaii and they do a lot of surf fishing for big fish. Be honest with him about the size of average fish and don't buy too much rod. The one you mentioned is rated to cast a pound and to fish 50# test. I doubt you could buy anything more powerful. It isn't out of line for that reel and what you want to do I guess. Just sounds like it could wear someone out in a hurry. On the other hand....not like you are going to be casting plugs.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.23.---)
Date: December 19, 2013 08:19PM

Duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2013 02:19AM by Dennis Hamilton.

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.23.---)
Date: December 19, 2013 08:36PM

I fish for everything at the inlet, but mainly snook, reds, mackerel and flounder. I do shark fish at the inlet, but its primarily limited to a few times a year now. I used to do it about thirty times a year, but the fight just got to long and drawn out anymore with the current plus drifting out hundreds of yards, having to go in cold ass water to tail rope then having a shark that Im probably not gunna eat for all that work, that I have pretty much lost interest. I used to really like sight fishing bull sharks in the summer when the catwalk lights were turned towards the ocean, that was really cool and kept me interested. Thing is with sharks, I use a float with a long heavy mono shock then steel which ends up around 12' or more so its hard to cast no matter what setup. All I use anymore is my 665h accurate on a 9' shakari blank to cast baits into the rip line then let the current do the rest. Now its usually northside when sharks are thick, you only need to cast twenty feet over the close rocks and current takes it. When thick it takes no more then five minutes between bites and the accurate handles anything under 7' with ease. When we were hardcore you would have someone take the bait up to the bridge and coordinate a channel drop to take it out 300yds or more from south side. We had the 12/0, rod belts, etc. at that time. That was overkill but provides the best drift but is a real pain if there are any boats or people around. If you go big just make sure you are gunna get your money out of it because it will be heavy and tiring as all @#$%&. I would probably use it twice then it would go into storage. If you could multipurpose that setup into something that will be frequently used but still fit the inlet bill I would recommend that instead. Casting really only becomes an issue from the southside since it can be really shallow until you hit the channel. If you go all the way to the tip and cast out thirty yards towards north tip you avoid the shallows and still catch the main current rip which solves the bottoming out problem.

Posted by: keith david (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2013 11:56PM

Thanks again Russ. Ive been wanting to call you, but putting real late hours, and don't know whats too late for you.

Date: December 19, 2013 11:59PM

Dennis Hamilton Wrote:
> I fish for everything at the inlet, but mainly
> snook, reds, mackerel and flounder. I do shark
> fish at the inlet, but its primarily limited to a
> few times a year now. I used to do it about thirty
> times a year, but the fight just got to long and
> drawn out anymore with the current plus drifting
> out hundreds of yards, having to go in cold ass
> water to tail rope then having a shark that Im
> probably not gunna eat for all that work, that I
> have pretty much lost interest. I used to really
> like sight fishing bull sharks in the summer when
> the catwalk lights were turned towards the ocean,
> that was really cool and kept me interested. Thing
> is with sharks, I use a float with a long heavy
> mono shock then steel which ends up around 12' or
> more so its hard to cast no matter what setup. All
> I use anymore is my 665h accurate on a 9' shakari
> blank to cast baits into the rip line then let the
> current do the rest. Now its usually northside
> when sharks are thick, you only need to cast
> twenty feet over the close rocks and current takes
> it. When thick it takes no more then five minutes
> between bites and the accurate handles anything
> under 7' with ease. When we were hardcore you
> would have someone take the bait up to the bridge
> and coordinate a channel drop to take it out
> 300yds or more from south side. We had the 12/0,
> rod belts, etc. at that time. That was overkill
> but provides the best drift but is a real pain if
> there are any boats or people around. If you go
> big just make sure you are gunna get your money
> out of it because it will be heavy and tiring as
> all @#$%&. I would probably use it twice then it
> would go into storage. If you could multipurpose
> that setup into something that will be frequently
> used but still fit the inlet bill I would
> recommend that instead. Casting really only
> becomes an issue from the southside since it can
> be really shallow until you hit the channel. If
> you go all the way to the tip and cast out thirty
> yards towards north tip you avoid the shallows and
> still catch the main current rip which solves the
> bottoming out problem.

Thanks so much Dennis, awesome info. Would love to pick your brain some time. phantomreefer@yahoo.com. thanks again. BTW, phantomreefer is a CORAL thing. I design aquariums

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 20, 2013 02:33AM

Hi Keith, Russ,

Just a couple of thoughts.

The Lamiglas GSB series is usually of a more moderate action. As such, the effective length of the rod will be reduced as compared to other blanks. This makes it a easier casting rod.
Additionally the butt section is a little large in diameter and that makes it more powerful in the butt section and makes it easier to fight larger fish.

For ease of fish fighting, you may want to install a stainless steel butt cap. These are a tube that is about 12" long and closed on one end. They are slipped over the butt and epoxied into place. I believe the SS butt caps originate in FLORIDA. When fighting the fish, the butt cap is placed on the ground, sand, rocks and the arch of one foot is placed behind the butt cap. Your body weight can then be used to fight the fish. (This all seems familiar, I probably wrote about it before.) Your reel will need to be mounted higher than normal. Belly button height is normally considered appropriate for a conventional reel. The longer handle also makes it easier to cast heavier weights.

You may also want to look into the Hawaii Slide Bait technique. Nick Meyer in Texas was using this technique (with modification) for shark fishing. The process is to cast out your lead, then slide out your choice of bait. Regarding Nick Myer, a Breakaway Cannon could be helpful in casting heavier baits with a spinning reel.

Another consideration is the use of a boat rod. The Lamiglas NZ 102 2XH (40-60#) and NZ 102 2XXH(60-100#) may work for you as they are 8' 6" and often set up with large spinners.
It may a good idea to call Lamiglas and speak to Josh about his recommendations.

Don Becker

Date: December 23, 2013 09:39AM

Woo Donald, thats awesome info. Thank you so much. I used the SS caps about 20 years ago, it did not cross my mind to use one for this next build. I did call Lamiglas, and they were suner helpful. Thank you so much again, I keep coming up with more questions, and the people in this forum have been awesome. Thanks to all you folks.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: December 23, 2013 10:28AM

if I were that close to orlando, i would HAVE to go to Get Bit Outdoors and MIUDHOLE to check the blanks in person. i figure they could probably help with some advice as well.

Date: December 23, 2013 11:40PM

woody osborne Wrote:
> if I were that close to orlando, i would HAVE to
> go to Get Bit Outdoors and MIUDHOLE to check the
> blanks in person. i figure they could probably
> help with some advice as well.

Im going next week woody. Im looking forward to see all that they have. Im afraid to spend too much as I really want to go to the Expo and get some deals. But one or two wont kill me right????????? Thank you so much.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 09:31AM

Store pick up -- no shipping LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 24, 2013 04:54PM

A few years ago I bought a three piece spigot ferrule 11'8'" Purglas blank on closeout from Mudhole. I could cast a toaster oven with the dang thing if I could summon up the strength. Fishing the surf for truly big fish is apparently a common pass time in the Union of South Africa. I suggest you research Purglas blanks and their availability for your specialized fishing needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster