I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for the pros
Posted by: Greg Smith (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 15, 2013 09:42PM

Hey folks,

Haven't been around in a while. Just too busy I guess. I have several rods that I started messing with and never got around to the final wrap. I have all the components and will have the guide and reel seat set where I want them. I spent hours test casting these rods to best handle the reels and braid I am using. These are light surf rods being built for distance.

Here is the question, Would it offend any of your pros if someone like me brought you a rod to wrap that had been set up like the ones above? I just don't have the time or energy to wrap and finish the rods. There is one local builder here that I could take them to. I wanted to make sure I was not committing some unknown sin befor I did so. I am a commercial painter and it drives me nuts when people want to provide the paint. Is that the same case with rod building? I will be providing the blank, guides, and reel seat. The builder would provide the rest.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the pros
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2013 09:44PM

I did it a few times but made it plain to the customer that if he supplied the parts and the design specs, he also supplied the warranty.

Frankly, I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone to finish it out for you.

Date: December 15, 2013 09:59PM

Thank you Tom.

I would expect him to do no less than what you described. I own a business and as you know, when you own one you find yourself being a little gracious to other buisness owners.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2013 10:57PM

No problem.
I have done that exact thing for a number of folks.
They supplied all of the parts and I did the rod build.

I simply charged a flat rate that the folks were happy with and all was well.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 09:04AM

Same here. I've finished out builds for folks that got started and ran out of time. Also made it clear about the warranty and we just agreed on a price. No offense taken on this at all.

Terry

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 16, 2013 11:15AM

I have a repeat customer who does this almost every year. he knows what he likes but just doesn't have the time or skill. But he is a very good lawyer(if there is such a thing) so one day that may come into play. until then we just work out a flat fee.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2013 12:04PM

I have also finished started builds...no problems here either... I think most builders will not have a problem with it.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: December 16, 2013 12:40PM

Like others, I have also finished other peoples work, or built from scratch with their components.

I've also had other craftspeople work on some aspect of a build where my particular abilities or tools might not be up to the task. Last year I had a local artist do some airbrush work for me and a few years ago I had a master leatherworker create a custom leather liner to line the inside of a hand made wooden rod case for a very special charity fund-raising build I have a particular interest in supporting.

I'd think that unless your local builder is a high profile builder with a long waiting list of clients and a backlog of work, they won't have a problem doing what you want done.

Date: December 16, 2013 11:02PM

Thanks Guys.

I will talk to him about a flat rate or however he wants to do it. Not a big deal to me either way.

Date: December 29, 2013 08:51PM

I finally located our local builder. He agreed to strip down the rods I started and completely redo them. I saw the first finished one on Friday. It is FANTASTIC! He did a great job on the split grip with cork tape wrapped in between the grips to protect the blank form the rocks we fish from. He used kw guides and it casts very well. I am so excited to get them back and fish them for the first time.

Thank you very much for you honest replies.

Date: December 29, 2013 09:10PM

I finally located our local builder. He agreed to strip down the rods I started and completely redo them. I saw the first finished one on Friday. It is FANTASTIC! He did a great job on the split grip with cork tape wrapped in between the grips to protect the blank form the rocks we fish from. He used kw guides and it casts very well. I am so excited to get them back and fish them for the first time.

Thank you very much for you honest replies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster