I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

aero reelseats
Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:03PM

i shook a spinning rod with a bump on the back of the reelseat and it felt pretty good. come to find out they are called aero reelseats. i like their feeling but think they may be too heavy for my builds. just wondering, did anyone ever make their own aero shape out of cork or maybe carbon fiber.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: aero reelseats
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:07PM

The Aero is a pretty light seat.

Build with one and see how it works out for you.

This seat is the reel seat of choice for most of my clients.

The fact that the slight weight of the reel seat, is right where you are holding the rod, means that the seat does nothing to affect the balance of the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:27PM

Put a picture of spalded tamarind on aero reel seat. It is Photos then grips

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:36PM

robert

i have built several fresh water spin jig rods using "aero" reel seats and like them a lot, especially since a size 17 is now available. i don't think they are any heavier than most other seats. maybe it was the grip material or handle construction method that made the seat / handle seem heavy.

rog

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:44PM

Aero's are great reel seats....I've got one I have fished so much the rubber coating on the palm piece is worn off.......if weight were an issue I would have noticed it......have built several rods for friends using them and all of them love the way they fish.....unless you are just dying to use a different material to construct one, why ,ess with a good thing....????

Date: December 11, 2013 07:09PM

did anyone ever weigh one [aero sz 16 reel seat ?]i try to keep my spinning rods as light as possible under 2 oz. by the way that spalded reel seat is a beautiful thing. again the speed of the responses on this site tickles me.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2013 07:13PM

Without a doubt my favorite and most used reel seat for a mojority of light tackle spinning situations.

It weighs in at 1.06oz. Even a Minima weighs .695oz. The ergonomics are well worth the 1/3 of an ounce. Especially since it is in the palm of your hand.

This is one that I did in carbon fiber which fills the palm nicely but the overall weight savings is only 1/4oz. But I do think it looks pretty cool and if you are a gram counter it is lighter. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 11, 2013 08:10PM

And they are the only one that you can fit a snake head under [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lyle Kvarnlov (---.mncable.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 08:15PM

What size grip (outside diameter) will fit into the aero reel seat?

Date: December 12, 2013 08:40AM

i did not realize how big the back of the aero was till i saw the snakehead, so what is the i d of the tube that fits on the rod in inches? anyone have pics of the back of an aero sans rod?

Date: December 12, 2013 09:01AM

here is an Aero 16 [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: December 12, 2013 12:19PM

I interpret these photos to mean that the aero may be used uplocking with a "ramp" coming out the traditional grip hole which is now in front, right? If yes, that may make a believer out of me. By the way, Mike, that snakehead is really great. But doesn't that position the whole hand ahead of the reel stem? I would appreciate some comments from up-locking users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 12:21PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 12:40PM

Personally I perfer them uplocking- [www.rodbuilding.org]
I hold the reel between my ring and pinky fingers.

Good luck. Stan

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 12, 2013 12:57PM

Anyone knows ID for Aero 17 where you insert the handle? Lots of info on 16 size.

Date: December 12, 2013 01:04PM

Mick..... All of my personal rods are Aero up-locking...it feels better to me. The reel is pretty centered in the grip the way it is built. When I build for a customer I have them try it both ways. About 75% prefer down lock but the others are weird like me ;)

I normally have some 17's here but I sent a rod out the other day with my last one..... If I remember correctly the grip was turned down to around 1 1/8" to fit in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 01:14PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2013 06:27PM

the SBSS is designed after the aero seat. You can make it in 3 sizes and any material. there is an article on how to make it in the 13th aniversary of rodmaker. cant remember which # issue that was

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 12, 2013 10:23PM

Hi Sergiy,
ID is 28mm or 1.1 inches for size 17 Aero's
The OD of my carbon grips is 27.5mm right at the end and slightly tapered. I get a nice fit.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 12, 2013 10:43PM

Thank you

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 12:23AM

Hello John.

The SBSS article is in the V 12, I 4, pg. 10 of RodMaker Magazine.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 13, 2013 10:28AM

Don Morse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mick..... All of my personal rods are Aero
> up-locking...it feels better to me. The reel is
> pretty centered in the grip the way it is built.
> When I build for a customer I have them try it
> both ways. About 75% prefer down lock but the
> others are weird like me ;)

I need to give that a try. When built down-locking I find the hump too far back. I made a size 18 SBSS and it felt the same. I grip with the stem between the pinky and ring finger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 10:31AM by Chuck Mills.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster